986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   White smoke on hard acceleration (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16905-white-smoke-hard-acceleration.html)

southernstar 08-01-2013 08:34 AM

If you had a flashing check engine light it would not go off on its own, so I would relax a bit. It is probably the AOS (air/oil separator) and there are a number of threads on the subject that you should search and read. You can have a check done of the crankcase vacuum to confirm, but what you describe (as well as regular white smoke on start-up) are common signs. I would not wait until it completely expires as it will make a mess of the throttle body and the MAF sensor.

Brad

reiver 08-01-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southernstar (Post 355058)
If you had a flashing check engine light it would not go off on its own, so I would relax a bit. It is probably the AOS (air/oil separator) and there are a number of threads on the subject that you should search and read. You can have a check done of the crankcase vacuum to confirm, but what you describe (as well as regular white smoke on start-up) are common signs. I would not wait until it completely expires as it will make a mess of the throttle body and the MAF sensor.

Brad

Thanks! I'm on Pelican Parts - have the boot, AOS, both tubes, clamp, and o-rings...that should do the trick right? I'm trying to get it in by tomorrow.

Cheers,

reiver 08-01-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reiver (Post 355076)
Thanks! I'm on Pelican Parts - have the boot, AOS, both tubes, clamp, and o-rings...that should do the trick right? I'm trying to get it in by tomorrow.

Cheers,

The engine starts dying when I open the oil fill cap and is pulling a vaccuum, so I'm guessing (and from some brief mention of it on another thread) that it is indeed the problem. I figured if it wasn't the AOS, I'd have a new one so one less thing to worry about on the to-do list...

southernstar 08-02-2013 04:48 AM

Yes, the vacuum is another sure fire sign. And yes, those are the parts you should need. That and a pair of gloves!!!!! Keep us posted.

Brad

reiver 08-02-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southernstar (Post 355225)
Yes, the vacuum is another sure fire sign. And yes, those are the parts you should need. That and a pair of gloves!!!!! Keep us posted.

Brad

I went ahead and got plugs, plug-orings, plug boots, air, oil filter, and other misc stuff. While I'm there - might as well start on some of the other maintenance. Thanks!

Cheers,
R

taiapkpro 08-02-2013 09:25 AM

Mình chua hi?u cái nÃ****y cho l?m