986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Opinion on rollback...(the verb) (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/1689-opinion-rollback-verb.html)

wetsuff 11-26-2004 07:16 AM

Opinion on rollback...(the verb)

I've found a pretty great car....reeeeasonably priced, but the Carfax shows what - could be explained away as - prior Km readings vs. the mileage readings of odometer at the dealer. (..can't imagine a leasing co., or lessor, being that dumb tho'..)

They're going to have to sell it 'mileage unknown'. I buy on 'condition' and will keep it for a decade ...and difference is only 30k vs 15k anyway...

Question tho': how easy it is to "roll-the-tumblers"? (digital one's anyway...)

Jim

Tool Pants 11-26-2004 09:03 AM

A dealer with a PST2 cannot rollback the mileage - there is no function to do this. I can be done in aftermarket. There are several companies that will reset the mileage in an electronic cluster to whatever you want. I have even seen kits for sale. Also, you can put in a cluster with lower mileage.

For example. I bought a 996 cluster off ebay because I wanted the 2 extra gauges. My car at that time had over 40k miles. When I plugged in the 996 cluster into my Boxster the 996 cluster displayed 990 miles. I had to take the 996 cluster out because the LCD display for the speedometer was defective. I contacted a company that repairs VDO clusters to see if I could buy a replacement display. No parts are available. But they said they could reset the mileage to the actual mileage of my car if I sent them the 996 cluster.

If you had access to the car and a PST2 you could check the engine operating hours in the DME to see if it jives with the mileage. You could also check the VIN in the cluster and see if it is the same VIN for the car.

wetsuff 11-26-2004 12:02 PM

This dealer is a mainline brand dealer who got the car off from one of the lease auctions...I don't suspect he would have exposed himself for such little gain..

Aaaaaah! ...the Vin in the cluster! Good point.

I'm going to get a PST2 read before I hand them a bag of money. I really like the concept of total starts + total time vs. conventional mileage anyway.... (plus them Level 2's!)

I live 15mi from town and every car we own get's a perfect warming, whereas that "little old lady" with almost no miles over X years may hand you a disaster.

The only diff in this case is the big $$ hit you take at the 30k service. That may be the arm wrestle, as there's no way, that I know of, to tell if it has been 30k serviced.

Thanks.

Jim

PeterJoyce 11-29-2004 05:31 PM

How much are the 15K and 30K mile services?

wetsuff 11-30-2004 04:21 AM

PJ: You can confirm by calling a dealer, but I've heard $400 and $900+ are common.

....mo yu drives - mo yu pays.

Jim