Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 03:08 PM   #21
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couper1
I think I'm going to desnorkal my car this weekend. After reading these threads it seems easy and worth doing. I just have one question, if for some reason I don't like the new louder sound with the snorkal out, is it difficult to re-install it?

Thanks
Nope, it's easy to reinstall. It pops right back in. However, I doubt you'll want to after hearing the sound improvement once over 4000 rpms.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Nope, it's easy to reinstall. It pops right back in. However, I doubt you'll want to after hearing the sound improvement once over 4000 rpms.
Ahhh, Thank you!! That's what I was hoping to hear. Really looking forward to doing this mod now tomorrow.
Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:41 PM   #23
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Have any of you had problems with water getting into the engine?
Old 05-24-2008, 05:08 PM   #24
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
Have any of you had problems with water getting into the engine?
I've driven at highway speeds under torrential downpours, and also have had my car through car washes (yes, I have to use car washes here in Manhattan) with no issues whatsoever. I put my hand through the intake hole after pulling out the snork, and believe it or not, the intake tract actually snakes upwards and forward before going back towards the engine. Finally, there is a water drain point in the intake before the air filter section, so there's not going to be a problem.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:08 PM   #25
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
That's interesting because I never did this because I heard a lot of people talking about possible water problems. I may do this now, thanks!
Old 05-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #26

Great photo's.
I was able to do it without breaking anything. I guess my fingers are too big to reach around to all three clips. I was only able to reach around to the top clip. After loosing that section I was able to wiggle, coax, beg and finally work the grill loose all of the way around and finally pull it out. None of the plastic clips broke.
Two of the metal clips actually came out with the plastic tabs. I simply removed the metal clips and reattached them.
Removing the snorkle was actually the easiest part.
I had to take care to insure that all of the clips were aligned and reattached properly.
I can't wait to take it out tomorrow (if the sun is out)!
5-speed
Rear speaker system
Harman Kardon Ipod system
Durametric software
OBC Hack
Triple Black
De-snorkled
kurssat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:10 AM   #27

I haven't done any mods to my 986 yet but reading this I think I might try this one. Sounds pretty easy. Is the snorkel only on USA versions?
Ken
SoCalKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:19 PM   #28

Send a message via Yahoo to 6speed
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterLewis
Nice pic.

Update:
I performed the desnorkeling last night and my butt dyno tells me i gained 5 hp And the sound is definitely louder!

Ha Ha ,butt dyno thats funny.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:02 AM   #29
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterLewis
Nice pic.

Update:
I performed the desnorkeling last night and my butt dyno tells me i gained 5 hp And the sound is definitely louder!
Be careful... with the new sound, you'll be spending more on gas now because you'll always be revving the car over 4K rpms to hear that intake sound.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:21 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Has anyone with an 03 or 04 desnorkeled? Porsche redesigned the snorkel for the 03/04 model and got rid of the shovel or catch tray at the end. Just wondering if there is still a profound difference in sound ect. Also, the intake vent is one piece on the 03/04 and slighty different and there is a screen. Anybody have a write up or better advice on how to remove the vent on the later models? I removed the screw and gave it a tug and that sucker isn't wanting to move. I can't feel or see any little tabs that suppossedly hold it on.
Hey Adam,

I, shortly after joining the forum, attempted to desnorkle my 04 SE. I wanted to have that improved sound. Lots of old threads on desnorkling but none on the 04. I do not think desnorkling will improve Hp but I do think it would make a nice sound.

Our 04's do have 3 tabs to hold the vent. It took me a long time to coax the vent loose after I released it from the tabs. Do not force it.... you will break it. When I took the vent off. I was faced with a smooth inner rubber lining that tapered down to a steel mesh with a screw to hold the mesh/lining in place. I tried to remove the mesh without success. I posted my problems and I did not get any responses from 04 owners. A lot of the forum members thought that my snorkle was already removed but I am not sure. I think it is part of the redesign and I cannot even get the mesh off to see if I have a snorkle equivalent. Oh well. Unless someone has experience taking this lining and mesh off.... I am not going to rip it out to see if I have a snorkle.