Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 06:28 AM   #1

Did all Boxsters have cylinder liners?

I won't bore everyone with the details since its already in another thread (engine failure, help what do I do?), but my 2001 Boxster S engine just bit the dust. I have read about all the problems with the slipped liners on cars with 98 and 99 build dates. Were these the only ones to have liners or did they all have them and this was just the range that had the most problems? Also, how can I determine the build date of my car. It is a model year 2001, but was already on the road in Sept of 2000. I would think that could make it very likely to have gotten one of the poorly sleeved engines from that run.

2001saxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001saxster
I won't bore everyone with the details since its already in another thread (engine failure, help what do I do?), but my 2001 Boxster S engine just bit the dust. I have read about all the problems with the slipped liners on cars with 98 and 99 build dates. Were these the only ones to have liners or did they all have them and this was just the range that had the most problems? Also, how can I determine the build date of my car. It is a model year 2001, but was already on the road in Sept of 2000. I would think that could make it very likely to have gotten one of the poorly sleeved engines from that run.

To my knowledge, you would not have a sleeved engine ala the old "lets save the engine" fiasco. I believe the issue was simply related to the earliest batch of blocks.

As you may know, the sleeves were only part of a long list of engine issues for Porsche.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

These engines are aluminum blocks and therefore they must all have cylinder liners.

http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.asp?id=%7BF3EA752A-E838-43E5-A43D-BB4F445F5A8F%7D

Last edited by blue2000s; 05-19-2008 at 07:44 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:28 AM   #4

I should have been clearer. The original engine block issue was not due to sleeving per se. As I recall, they had a casting problem with a number of blocks and decided to try a sleeve related "trick" to avoid having to simply toss the blocks alway.

The trick failed and the engines did too.

I don't believe any of these faulty blocks made it to the 2000 model run.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:00 PM   #5

I started Boxstering in 1999, and that was 9 years ago

The sleeved engines were made in 1998/1999, and sold as MY 1999.

If you are really old then the factory warranty changed from 2 to 4 years.

If you ordered a car back then, then you waited.

See, I have a January 1997 that I bought in 1999, so it could not have been sleeved.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:15 PM   #6

The 'liners' in the Boxster engine are cast-in-place, an AUDI innovation.

These are Locasil coated - silicon impregnated or coated alloy for hardness - eliminating the need for separate liners.

The casting method failed in mid-98 and rather than delay shipping cars to dealers/customers, Porsche approved the insertion of separate liners to the faulty block castings so they could be used and avoid delays.

As mentioned, most of these failed and have since been replaced - it is rare to hear of one of these engines grenading anymore as most have already done so.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote