986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   What company of cleacoat (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16816-what-company-cleacoat.html)

clb0099 05-17-2008 09:19 PM

Help Need Advice

Hello.

I am redoing my interior plastic pieces and want to know what company clearcoat I should use on them. I did a serach on the forum and couldn't seem to find anything . If some one could tell a company it would be great.

wanna986 05-18-2008 03:51 PM

Will you be using a spray can?

clb0099 05-18-2008 07:59 PM

yes i will be using a spray can

SilentThunder 05-18-2008 08:27 PM

I got good results from rustoleam "painters touch" crystal clear. That is of course after I sanded, primed, sanded, painted, sanded, cleared, sanded, and used a porter cable to buff and polish it. Looks like the outside of the car now.

pk2 05-20-2008 08:18 AM

If its oxidized plastic , dulled from the sun, try this; use a good heat gun on it... gingerly. Some plastics will melt on the surface slightly and the oxidation disapears.

Regards, PK

Perfectlap 05-20-2008 09:39 AM

not really interior but if you decide to tackle the outside, I use Forever black on the lower windshield trim (underneath the wipers). It comes in one of those liquid shoe polish applicators. A few coats makes it look new again.

You might also want to consider painting your interior bits the color of your exterior paint. Towerpaint.com will take your VIN# and send you a can of your color. I guess you'd have to sand down the parts and prime them.

pk2 05-20-2008 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
... I use Forever black on the lower windshield trim (underneath the wipers). It comes in one of those liquid shoe polish applicators. A few coats makes it look new again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thats interesting, thats exactly where I used my heat gun. Comes out exactly like the unexposeded portion. How long does your stuff last? Does it oxidize or peel? wear off with a couple the car washs?

Regards, PK

Perfectlap 05-20-2008 02:42 PM

well my car sits in the garage Monday - Friday so its lasts a good while.
At least a month and a half. Probably longer if I applied an acrylic wax over it.
Oddly enough I do the same thing on dress shoes.. I stain the heel and then apply wax over it.
I use the forever black on the trim near the passenger windows too. Those start to fade. Interior plastics don't work at all with the FB. Most be a polypropylene thing.

pk2 05-20-2008 04:54 PM

-proplyne, -ethlene, one of those waxy -enes'. Oddly, those “-enes” should “flame polish” nicely and they don't at all on my car. The bumperets would seem to be a nice application for your Forever Black.

Regards, Peter