Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #1

G2 vs. Duplicolor

So I was going to paint my calipers red and I bought the Duplicolor kit. Then I saw Boxtaboy's awesome job he did with the G2 kit here:

Painted my calipers

So it's too late for me to return the Duplicolor kit, but I'm thinking of getting the G2 kit anyway. I'm fine paying extra money as long as the quality is there. Anyone have experience with either (or both) that can give me some insight as to the pros and cons of each?

Old 05-18-2008, 05:01 AM   #2
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
baseball:

I used the Duplicolor Kit almost 3 years ago and couldn't be happier. They still look great today. I installed new rotors and pads at the same time and wasn't in a big hurry to get done, so I removed the calipers from the car. I wanted to flush the system with new fluid as well which factored into my decision to take the calipers off. I think I had the brakes apart for a couple of weeks.

I've seen the great pictures from Boxtaboy and others using the G2 Kit and am impressed. My guess is either kit will work satisfactorily. Be sure to clean the calipers thoroughly and you shouldn't have any problems.

If I ever do it again I would probably use the Duplicolor caliper spray instead of the brush-on paint that I used a few years ago.

This is a recent picture with a glimpse of my caliper.

Best of luck,

ddb

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:04 AM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
As you've seen, I'm really happy with the results of the G2 Kit. It only took 2 coats of paint to make it look great, and cured to a smooth, glossy finish. Absolutely perfect! While we were waiting for the paint to dry, my friend drove me to a local Porsche dealer where I looked at some factory red S brakes, and honestly, it looked like the G2 kit made the calipers look even more shiny/glossy than the factory red brakes. I just love the product, but I haven't tried the Duplicolor kit, so I can't really say if the G2 kit is any better.

Just make sure you clean the calipers really well with the brake cleaner and a toothbrush/rags prior to starting the painting, as you don't want brake dust mixing with the paint on your application. Have fun!

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips - ddb, your calipers look great too.

What did you guys use for clearcoat?
Old 05-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball
Thanks for the tips - ddb, your calipers look great too.

What did you guys use for clearcoat?
Duplicolor high temp clear spray can that I bought at Autozone. I sprayed two very thin layers of clear over the decal area. Don't spray too many layers or else it will end up cracking.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Boxtaboy's advice about clearcoat is good. I bought the same product and applied too much to the first caliper (left rear) and it cracked. The caliper still looks good unless you get a foot from it, so I just left it alone. I didn't apply any clearcoat to the other three calipers.

It will be 3 years in August and the paint and decals still look exactly the same without any clearcoat. If I someday do this again I will not attempt to apply any clearcoat.

Post some pics when you get it done.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #7

Ive used both the duplicolor and G2. G2 wins hands down. No clear necessary.
SilentThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentThunder
Ive used both the duplicolor and G2. G2 wins hands down. No clear necessary.
What did you prefer about G2 other than no clear-coat being necessary?
Old 05-21-2008, 05:57 AM   #9

Well I think I'll stick to the Duplicolor kit. I hear G2 is better, but ddb's pics show that Duplicolor looks just as good. I'll post pics when I'm done.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #10

Does Duplicolor make Guards Red? I'd like to paint the black plastic trim on my GT3 seats that suround the two seatbelt harness holes in the headrest to match my car color.

In this link these seats are black leather with yellow. Any ideas short of ordering the trim in red from Porsche/Recaro?

http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/showproduct.php?product=120&cat=all
2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.

Last edited by 2000SoCalBoxsterS; 05-22-2008 at 10:14 AM.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:08 AM   #11

It goes on easier, a little thicker, and the color is a little brighter.

SilentThunder is offline   Reply With Quote