986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   RS60 Spyder (long) (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16780-rs60-spyder-long.html)

Gibson 05-14-2008 11:31 AM

RS60 Spyder (long)

Hi Folks,

After lurking for a time, I realized not much has been written on the RS60 Spyder of late. That surprises me. I recently picked up this very red example and wanted to share some impressions. As well as invite others who own (or maybe rejected) this tasty piece of Porsche machinery to pipe up.

(After all, RS60 has but a short season in the sun, soon to be forgotten as the 09's roll in)

Is this car a marketing ploy? Yes -- of course, what car isn't? -- but there's some authenticity there, a fine fable. More importantly the package suited my taste for a well put together, quick and somewhat unusual funster, arguably at a bargain price.

To be honest I wasn't really looking Boxster at first. Specing out a 911 the cost quickly reached nosebleed levels when all the nice bits were added up. (Could be heresy, but there's something unnatural about all that butt weight trying to swing itself around! :D ) In suburbia where I dwell, truly spirited driving is rare and fleeting; a convertible top offers a partial substitute at least.

There seems to be a sense around here that the RS60 can't be had at discount --- simply not true! Within a few short hours I had worked my deal for a substantial haircut (East Coast). Not a one had demanded list. True, most were shocked and demoralized to hear about my deal but they'll soon acclimate to reality. (True -- that was the very day Bear Stearns tanked.) 700 cars is a generous allotment to find homes in the US market during this short summer season.

My first P-car (owned a couple old Alfas long ago), I opted for the full treatment --Carrera red interior with the red top as well. Actually closer to a deep raspberry and impossible to capture accurately on photos -- don't trust the garish red photos. The red is tasteful esp with the 3D-GT Silver exterior but provocative enough to get the juices flowing. The embossed (perforated) leather bits seem to soften the color further. And the silver trim pieces all look fabulous (Sport Chrono a must if only for this reason).

Finally broken in (on a backroad trip last week from DC to Pittsburgh and back, 400 quality mi in one day, blasting by a Hillary stop in WV), the car now shrieks its full glory, most spine-tinglingly of all in the 4500-7000 rpm range. To me, sitting surrounded by acres of red leather amidst this sonic wave is the signature RS60 experience. Tunnels stimulate nirvana, tolls cheerfully handed over!

But life is brutish, harsh, and probably short on those 19-inchers (wife hates that part). I certainly would consider mere 18" if not for pure vanity. Sport shock setting -- strictly for masochists with solid dental work.

I could go on. But no doubt there are others willing to voice their RS60 pros/cons. Are you all still out there??

bmussatti 05-14-2008 11:53 AM

Very nice car!

Keep in mind the break-in period is more like 2,000 miles, not the 400 you reported.

TriGem2k 05-14-2008 12:01 PM

Thats a Tease! Lets see more pictures of that bad boy!

eqs 05-14-2008 12:37 PM

We're always out here. Interestingly the 19s are perfect for me - not harsh at all, firmer, but not harsh. I like firm and reduced sidewall roll. I don't know about replacing them though, that's going to be pricey and possibly difficult to come by.

The engine way at the back is certainly "different" and that is why I also decided against that. I like to toss my car around and with all that inertia, it was difficult, it felt unbalanced. I grew up like you in the Alfa days, but I had a Triumph. Those were the good old days when there was no TC or PSM to keep you out of trouble. You had to drive properly, or you got your butt kicked. Nowadays people drive way over their true driving abilities. Turn off the TC or PSM totally, then try what you try - you'll be in for a big surprise ....... weeds, a flip, or worse.

I suspected they have to move those units, my dealer has one sitting too, and I'm sure that w/new stock coming in, they have to move them.

I like the gearshift knob on that car - it was different and special. Unfortunately the red interior was not to my liking - sorry...... I also noted that the dash did not have that cowling over the instruments.

I applaud the throwback thought process to the past and what they were trying to accomplish ....... but if it had a "boring" blk interior ........ Hummmm, might be interesting. No ........ I already have a good little car. :)

Cheers and enjoy in good health :cheers:

Gibson 05-14-2008 03:36 PM

More photos

Thanks all, I was expecting at least one RS60 hater! :matchup:

bmussatti - I hit 1000 mi on my Pittsburgh trip and thought that was enough of a break in. 2000? Too late now! Check out the hamlet of Paw Paw, WV on the map. That was about halfway into my journey and gives a fair idea of the twisty road conditions the Appalachian region is blessed with. Seemed every home, however humble in that part of the state has a muscle car parked out front.

egs : have you seen the charcoal version of the RS60 ? Sounds more to your liking and rarer than the red interior.

TriGem2k - great nitetime shot you've got there. Here's a few more of mine ==

bmussatti 05-14-2008 04:05 PM

Gibson, you really need to read the Owner's Manual! :)

eqs 05-14-2008 04:14 PM

Hummmm, maybe another one ............ no ............. :D

Cheers :cheers:

Gibson 05-14-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
Gibson, you really need to read the Owner's Manual! :)

Errr...right you are! Luckily I just "barely" exceeded 4200 rpm, maybe once or twice... :o

Very nice color combo by the way -- yours. Not too many boxsters go with the full leather. Tan with the cocoa top is beautiful. Quite the contrast to mine...how's about sharing one weekend mine then one yours? (jk)

LoveBunny 05-14-2008 06:54 PM

It looks beautiful. I love the red interior. I actually considered ordering that color interior on my black Boxster but I thought it might be a little too much and so I stuck with black.

Gibson 05-15-2008 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveBunny
It looks beautiful. I love the red interior. I actually considered ordering that color interior on my black Boxster but I thought it might be a little too much and so I stuck with black.

Muchas gras, I love it to death! :p

I saw a black Cayman once with Carrera red but didn't care for it, too garish, so you probably made the right choice.

Somehow the GT silver blends well with the red. All the silver interior trim helps too.

Funny thing, today I parked briefly at the drug store with the top down. When I came out the car had moved 10 feet backwards down a gentle slope with the brake off and in neutral (I know I parked it properly). Sitting right in the middle of the parking lane!! Someone with a sense of humor must have monkeyed with it. Guess he doesn't realize VA is a concealed weapons state!! :troll:

I wonder is there anyway to stop itchy fingers short of putting the top up each time you park?

Adam 05-15-2008 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibson
I wonder is there anyway to stop itchy fingers short of putting the top up each time you park?

Sounds like you need "the little red clip."

silver arrow 05-15-2008 04:57 PM

Silver/red and Red/tan are the only 2 combinations that realy speak to me on a Porsche. I just bought a 2000 Red/tan Boxster. I love the combo.

LoveBunny 05-15-2008 05:22 PM

I'm too scared to park mine with the top down at all.

RS60 05-24-2008 10:47 PM

Here's mine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...8052008031.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...8052008042.jpg

IowaS 05-25-2008 11:02 AM

Love the cars guys, especially the color combos...beautiful. Not a big fan of the wheels but I'll take it.

9eighty6 05-25-2008 11:40 AM

I have to say that I am a big fan of the RS60 ... for what it is, it seems to be a wonderful car. Love the wheels and different color schemes as well. Nice and unique.

Hope you all are enjoying them!

Chills 05-26-2008 05:30 AM

I love the RS60. I like the bold interior color and the dark red top. Excellent choice, Gibson.

I'm curious as to how the car drives. 303hp compared to the 250hp my 986S claims. Have you driven other Boxsters to compare?

vincesf 05-26-2008 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver arrow
Silver/red and Red/tan are the only 2 combinations that realy speak to me on a Porsche. I just bought a 2000 Red/tan Boxster. I love the combo.

The color combination(s) and options on the RS60 make for one very sweet Porsche. The June '08 addition of Top Gear would also agree, hopefully I can attach the article, as I have borrowed it from another forum poster. I am sure many of us feel the same as the author that "the Boxster S (which of course includes the RS60) is a glorious blend of all the best automotive engineering in the world - the kind that's focussed on driving pleasure above all.....More near-perfection from Porsche, a fast high-revving mid-engined roadster that makes all its opposition look rubbish." Having owned the rubbish makes me appreciate the Boxster all the more.
vincesf

vincesf 05-26-2008 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver arrow

I'm partial to Guards Red on Tan as well, and the RS60 Silver on Red color combo has "Porsche" written all over it.
vincesf

Gibson 05-26-2008 08:14 PM

Thanks all, it is one tasty package (tho approaching Carrera price levels!).

I've not driven many earlier Boxsters and only now approaching breakin, still keeping the revs (mostly) under control. Low rpm torque is less than my '03 350Z but above 4k the car absolutely leaps, accompanied by that unearthly howl (esp in the tunnels).

Nice SF shot Vince and I definitely recognize that car RS60!