Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Can you disconnect that seatbelt dinger thing?

This is minor but it still drives me nuts. Apparently if you go over 15 MPH the thing that tells you your seatbelt is unhooked comes on and won't quit until you put it on or stop driving. It wouldn't matter except for the fact that every time I pull in a parking lot I take my seatbelt off to reach the ticket puller. Sometimes I end up going over 15 MPH and then I'm stuck hearing that super annoying thing bing-bing-bing until I park, which could be a while if it's a lot with a lot of levels.

LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:31 AM   #2

You should probably put your seatbelt back on whenever the car is moving.
Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:38 AM   #3

Agreed, I sometimes tuck my seatbelt round the back of the seat and plug it in when I use my 5 point harness to stop the warning. If you really wanted to you could probably short the pins in the multiconnector under the seat to convince the car the seatbelt is always on.

Be careful as depending on your cars spec and age unplugging the seat connector can trip an ECU alarm. I have heard that this can then either light a CEL or in some cases fire the Airbag. I am not sure about the latter but it is plausible I suppose. I know alarms do light when messing with seatbelts.

Best just to be safe and wear the belt
noone986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:17 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I agree it's best to wear the seatbelt because I guess technically I could get in a wreck in a parking lot. However, I really have never been able to park very well wearing a seatbelt. Plus, it's really difficult to pull a ticket and then have to put my seatbelt back on and start driving when there is a car behind me.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #5

I believe the dealer can turn this feature off.

wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote