986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Bose sound - am I going nuts? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16762-bose-sound-am-i-going-nuts.html)

kennedi 05-13-2008 12:12 PM

Bose sound - am I going nuts?

Got in my Box on Saturday and the Bose system worked fine. On the return trip home (approx. 3 hours later) the Bose system LOOKS normal, flashes radio station, song title, etc...the problem is that NO sound came out? I hit the mute button several times thinking maybe I accidentally turned it on, but nope. Turned the car off, then back on, still no sound. Put a new CD in and the info flashed on the display but still NO sound.

Drove home. Car sat for an hour, came back to car to check fuses with husband, he starts the car and the stereo is blarring.

WTF?

This car is 3 weeks old to me (it's an O4 S) and has about 13,700 miles on it.

jmatta 05-13-2008 12:53 PM

Sorry I can't help...I think a stereo in a Porsche is totally unncessary; listen to the mechanical music and enjoy (of course, just my opinion). I yanked the stereo out of my 911 because it probably added five pounds with the speakers and such. Hope you find out what caused your problem!

Adam 05-13-2008 01:31 PM

My bose radio did that one day a couple years back. It then came back on the next day and has been fine since. Very odd.

bmussatti 05-13-2008 01:54 PM

I think your husband is just messing with ya. He does not want you driving the car. :)

timothy 05-13-2008 02:02 PM

The Bose system in my 03 and has done the same thing a number of times. Restarting (rebooting) the car often does the trick, but if not I've found disconnecting the battery for five minutes works every time.

LoveBunny 05-13-2008 05:16 PM

I've never had that happen, but this is the only car I've ever had with a radio that will change a preset station to a completely different station if the signal is weak. 92.3 decides to change itself to 100.7 at any time it happens to feel like it.

Jaxonalden 05-13-2008 05:50 PM

If you don't mind my $.02 worth. You say the "Bose" system, unless all the system signals go through the amp in the front truck I don't think you can blame Bose. I'm sure some speakers are powered through the radio itself and if that's the case you problem is with the radio and not the Bose system.
I just checked my Bentley manual and the wiring diagram shows all wiring for the speakers, with the Bose system, run through the amp. So it's safe to assume that the amp is somehow overheating and tripping a thermal fuse. Once the fuse cools and resets the speakers are powered again.
Check to insure you don't have anything laying on or around the amp that might impede cooling air from circulating around it.

pbanders 05-14-2008 05:13 AM

Same problem has happened to me, came back after shutdown and restart.

jmatta 05-14-2008 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timothy
The Bose system in my 03 and has done the same thing a number of times. Restarting (rebooting) the car often does the trick, but if not I've found disconnecting the battery for five minutes works every time.

I hope you realize when you disconnect the battery for more than 5 minutes, you completely reset the ECU, it's settings and "readiness". Takes at least a week to remap once disconnected. I'd find another solution...

2000SoCalBoxsterS 05-14-2008 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmatta
Sorry I can't help...I think a stereo in a Porsche is totally unncessary; listen to the mechanical music and enjoy (of course, just my opinion). I yanked the stereo out of my 911 because it probably added five pounds with the speakers and such. Hope you find out what caused your problem!

I agree. The stereo in my Box sounds great but I very rarely listen to it. I prefer the sounds of the motor and exhuast system. I have been thinking about yanking my stereo out to save weight. The radio/CD, DSP, Speakers & rear speakers. Probably drop 15 pounds.

Tomikaze 05-31-2009 03:00 PM

I've got this problem only mine has not fixed itself. Do I send out the amp to be checked?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
If you don't mind my $.02 worth. You say the "Bose" system, unless all the system signals go through the amp in the front truck I don't think you can blame Bose. I'm sure some speakers are powered through the radio itself and if that's the case you problem is with the radio and not the Bose system.
I just checked my Bentley manual and the wiring diagram shows all wiring for the speakers, with the Bose system, run through the amp. So it's safe to assume that the amp is somehow overheating and tripping a thermal fuse. Once the fuse cools and resets the speakers are powered again.
Check to insure you don't have anything laying on or around the amp that might impede cooling air from circulating around it.

Adam 06-01-2009 04:23 AM

I've had similar issues with my Bose system to....even on a cold night not that long ago. There is more to it than the amp sometimes overheating. It seems to be a common problem and nobody knows how to fix it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikaze
I've got this problem only mine has not fixed itself. Do I send out the amp to be checked?

Tomikaze 06-01-2009 05:27 AM

This guy does...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/986-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-BOSE-AMPLIFIER-REPAIR-SERVICE_W0QQitemZ180174689463QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCa r_Audio_Video?hash=item29f33f94b7&_trksid=p4506.m2 0.l1116

I'm sending mine out today and I will let you guys know the results...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
I've had similar issues with my Bose system to....even on a cold night not that long ago. There is more to it than the amp sometimes overheating. It seems to be a common problem and nobody knows how to fix it.

ohhh my 08-12-2011 04:35 AM

Bumping old thread. Anyone find a permanent fix or the problem to this yet? My car does this almost daily after the 2nd start up of the day.

houstoer 08-12-2011 05:27 AM

I bought my 03 boxster about 2 months ago. Could not get the cd player to work. Tried everything it just would say loading and never get anywhere. I pulled out the manual on the radio and read it (didn't read anything that I wasn't already doing). Got in the car started it and the cd player worked like a charm and has worked ever since.... weird juju.. I know the porsche peeps are good but go figure you have to read a manual before it will operate; how did they ever figure that out??? lol :D

Wow, gotta stop reading the bad things on this forum. Wrote the above; took the car home for lunch coming back to work speakers go out !!! After arriving at work let the car sit for a minute then restarted and they came back on... sounds like amp getting overheated?

cas951 08-31-2013 06:06 AM

Bringing an old topic back to life. I have a 987 and my Bose system is acting really weird. It started with audio fading from low to high volume. Now when I hit a bump on the road it turns on or off on it's own. When I turn it on I get nothing. When I hit a slight bump on the road the radio comes on automatically.

Anyone seen this issue before?

batshapedheart 08-31-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cas951 (Post 360532)
Bringing an old topic back to life. I have a 987 and my Bose system is acting really weird. It started with audio fading from low to high volume. Now when I hit a bump on the road it turns on or off on it's own. When I turn it on I get nothing. When I hit a slight bump on the road the radio comes on automatically.

Anyone seen this issue before?

I have the exact same issue, I'm sure its just loose cables needing resoldering at the least.