986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Radio Removal: OK Now What? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16756-radio-removal-ok-now-what.html)

turbo23dog 05-13-2008 06:06 AM

Radio Removal: OK Now What?

I'm trying to remove the radio (CDR 220) so I can plug the aux wire to the back of the unit.

The radio removal keys are installed in what I hope is the correct locations...

There seems to be no give on the radio at all. Beyond that, there's no place to grab the radio to pull on it.

What am I missing? How's the radio supposed to come out? You can see that I removed the tray from the top of the lower section thinking I could get a hand behind the back of the radio from underneath, but that's not working either.

Thanks in advance,
Rich

Chills 05-13-2008 06:26 AM

Hey Rich, as long as those keys clicked when you put them in you're doing it right. The radio is going to take a few good tugs to get it out. It is in there REALLY tight, trust me. I thought I was doing something wrong. Try wiggling it back and forth with the keys while pulling out. It takes some work, but you'll get it out.

rick3000 05-13-2008 07:09 AM

It is really tight to get them out. I have never seen those keys before, but as long as they clicked your good. I would recommend using a small screwdriver through the rings to get a better grip on things. That should make it easier to pull out.

Tool Pants 05-13-2008 08:17 AM

Never seen that style keys either.

The usual keys have a round thing on the end so you can pull the radio out.

turbo23dog 05-13-2008 04:22 PM

The keys are clicked in. I"m going out to the garage now. Here goes!!!!!!

turbo23dog 05-13-2008 05:08 PM

Success. The radio is out. A smallish screwdriver through each loop allowed the leverage needed to overcome the friction holding the unit in place.

Thanks,
Rich

Tool Pants 05-13-2008 05:22 PM

That is good because if you pulled too hard....

rick3000 05-13-2008 05:33 PM

:rolleyes:

What is that a picture of, a dash replacement?

turbo23dog 05-14-2008 06:18 PM

Was Radio Removal; now Have Ignition Whine in Speakers

Damm that pix looks like the head of Medusa.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive because I have no JOY.

I pulled the radio to hard wire my XM Inno Sat Radio via the CD Changer Aux input based on the comments that the FM transmitters cause much degradation in sound. The hard wire runs from the Inno headphone jack and runs to the CD Changer Aux jack on the back of the CD-220. Hoping for a nice sound quality improvement, I actually ended up worse off. This set up is giving me a very annoying ignition whine coming through the speakers that varies with RPMs.

The hard wire is routed from the rear of the radio out alongside of the driver's side of the center stack. I'm guessing the wire is too close to something that is causing it to pick up the whine.

My next move is to rearrange the routing of the wire to the passenger side, but that's for another day. For now I"m back to using the FM Transmitter.

skip_168 06-23-2008 04:15 AM

RF engineer to the rescue! I have the same wine from my sirius sat. reciever, however, I ran my 3.5mm cable out to the cd changer cause I dont have the radio removal tools.. yet.. I will look into this & post up a solution...

1st guess is a ground loop has been created somwhere.. In the RF world, ground loops are super bad because they are in effect really good antennas & introduce all kinds of noise into a circuit...

if you want a quick fix, well a ferite loop filter should do the trick, but for me I have to know exactly what the cause is.. its an engineer/OCD thing..

turbo23dog 06-23-2008 09:07 AM

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, again....

I've resorted to just using the FM transmitter, leaving the wire hanging free for use if the interference on FM gets too annoying. Seems a waste of time and money at this point but perhaps you'll find a solution.

I think it has to do with the dock itself picking up the static. Jiggling the antenna wire where it plugs into the dock makes a difference in the static.