Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #1

Garage
Door Lock (Window Stay Down) Micro Switch

I posted in the past month about my drivers window not staying down when the door is open. Which makes it difficult to close the door. I ordered a new one from Suncoast for $125 and by the time it arrived my window started working again so I held off on the part swap-out.
Took two weeks and sure enough right after I took the car to the local autocross course the window micro-switch stopped working again (embarrassing). I swapped out the for the new door lock and its working as advertised.
Now the rest of the story, I looked at the old lock assembly to see if I could see what had happened to it. If your window starts acting up or if you want to do a little preventive maintenance listen up, this is what I found;

The micro-switch sits upside down just below the actual locking latch itself. It activates by riding on a cam that rotates with the locking latch. When the latch opens (door open) the micro-switch is activated and the window stays down. When it malfunctions the problem is more than likely because of wear. The cam and switch have lithium grease on them for lubrication, but after time and dirt getting into the latch it will wear. I pulled my switch out and was able to trim off some plastic on a couple of tabs that aligns it on the cam and with the spring that holds it down was able to get it to work again.
This can only be done with it removed from the door. If yours is malfunctioning and before you replace or try and fix it, try spraying some penetrating oil into the bottom of the latch assembly into the door. It might be enough to get it to work, if not you'll have to remove it anyway.

Hope this helps someone out.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:25 AM   #2

thank you - my buddy's C4S is starting to have issues with the driver window, and this may save him so $$$.

987gator is offline   Reply With Quote