986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Do the boxsters come with limited slip? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16709-do-boxsters-come-limited-slip.html)

waynes986 05-09-2008 09:54 AM

Do the boxsters come with limited slip?

just wondering if our boxsters come with limited slip or was that an option... thanks

EPIQTodd 05-09-2008 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynes986
just wondering if our boxsters come with limited slip or was that an option... thanks

None came with it, but I think it was an option only on the '97, in some sort of sport package that quickly went away. Too bad, as the Porsche LSD is better than the aftermarket units.

waynes986 05-09-2008 10:32 AM

i was looking at a car and one of the options on it was #224 automatic limited slip... what's that it was in an 00 boxster base

CJ_Boxster 05-13-2008 09:41 AM

Yeah Wayne, thats it, the option code for the limited slip diff is M224

John V 05-13-2008 10:29 AM

Oh goodness.

No, boxsters were not available with a limited slip. What they were available with was traction control / PSM and the electronic brake differential (224). It's basically a way of using the four-channel ABS system to apply the brakes to a spinning wheel. It works with PSM / TC disengaged.

In my experience with it, it doesn't work so great.

2000SoCalBoxsterS 05-13-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynes986
i was looking at a car and one of the options on it was #224 automatic limited slip... what's that it was in an 00 boxster base

Yes. According to my option codes under my hood I have limited slip on my 2000 Boxster S.

Adam 05-13-2008 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000SoCalBoxsterS
Yes. According to my option codes under my hood I have limited slip on my 2000 Boxster S.

Strange, I thought Porsche only allowed a limited slip on the 911. I wonder why more people didn't spec this option for the boxster if it was in fact available?

blue2000s 05-13-2008 11:23 AM

There was NEVER a mechanical (re. true) limited slip differential offered for the Boxster. They are available, however, through quaife and guard transmissions.

The electronic based limited slip that comes with PSM (and traction control before PSM was offered) does not function in the same way as a mechanical unit.

CJ_Boxster 05-13-2008 11:25 AM

Awesome, im going to look for limited slip equiped trannys at salvage yards now...

haha jus messing with you blue2000s

Adam 05-13-2008 11:29 AM

I gotha. Yeah, in my opinion calling anything that brakes the slipping wheel a limited slip is a stretch.

CJ_Boxster 05-13-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
I gotha. Yeah, in my opinion calling anything that brakes the slipping wheel a limited slip is a stretch.

Yeah porsche should have worded that option differently.... just like how ebay sellers selling knock off stuff always add the word "Style" to the end of the discription in tiny print...

example: TWINTURBO style FRONT BUMPER

blue2000s 05-13-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Awesome, im going to look for limited slip equiped trannys at salvage yards now...

haha jus messing with you blue2000s

Let us know what you find out there ;)

CJ_Boxster 05-13-2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue2000s
Let us know what you find out there ;)

I found a Glass "style" Rear Window kit for my boxster laying in the street... ;)

Paul 05-14-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

But, that's what the Porsche differential clutch based LSD does.....

John V 05-15-2008 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000SoCalBoxsterS

You don't, in the typical definition of the term. It's a brake-based system controlling an open rear differential.

With proper programming I suspect it could work pretty well. But Porsche's programming isn't that good.

Adam 05-15-2008 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul
But, that's what the Porsche differential clutch based LSD does.....

No a real limited slip doesn't brake anything. Most use a clutch, a gear or fluid inside the diff to transfer torque from the slipping wheel to the non slipping wheel.

70Sixter 05-15-2008 12:07 PM

I think they are doing a ltd slip group buy over at CaymanClub.com.

Paul 05-15-2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

No a real limited slip doesn't brake anything. Most use a clutch, a gear or fluid inside the diff to transfer torque from the slipping wheel to the non slipping wheel.

Porsche as I stated in my post uses clutches to brake the spinning wheel and transfer torque to the other wheel.

Paul 05-15-2008 04:03 PM

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/...mited-slip.jpg

Clutch-type Limited Slip Differential
The clutch-type LSD is probably the most common version of the limited slip differential.

Image courtesy Eaton Automotive Group's Torque Control Products Division

This type of LSD has all of the same components as an open differential, but it adds a spring pack and a set of clutches. Some of these have a cone clutch that is just like the synchronizers in a manual transmission.

The spring pack pushes the side gears against the clutches, which are attached to the cage. Both side gears spin with the cage when both wheels are moving at the same speed, and the clutches aren't really needed -- the only time the clutches step in is when something happens to make one wheel spin faster than the other, as in a turn. The clutches fight this behavior, wanting both wheels to go the same speed. If one wheel wants to spin faster than the other, it must first overpower the clutch. The stiffness of the springs combined with the friction of the clutch determine how much torque it takes to overpower it.

Getting back to the situation in which one drive wheel is on the ice and the other one has good traction: With this limited slip differential, even though the wheel on the ice is not able to transmit much torque to the ground, the other wheel will still get the torque it needs to move. The torque supplied to the wheel not on the ice is equal to the amount of torque it takes to overpower the clutches. The result is that you can move forward, although still not with the full power of your car.

blue2000s 05-15-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul
Porsche as I stated in my post uses clutches to brake the spinning wheel and transfer torque to the other wheel.

Not on the Boxster.