Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 11:28 AM   #1

Is it possible to bleed the cooling system with Porsche tools?

Is it doable?
Any tips?

motoadve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoadve
Is it doable?
Any tips?

Not sure exactly what you are asking but yes it's possible to bleed the cooling system - it does not require any special Porsche tools to do it either. Bleeding should be done as part of a coolant flush/fill. Also, if you're not losing coolant but are running high temps you should bleed the system (along w/ cleaning out the radiators which requires front bumper cover removal). Bleeding the system simply requires opening the relief valve and cycling the motor and water pump.

Search the DIY forum for:
- coolant flush (I think djolmas did a nice write up which includes a bleed how to)
- radiator cleaning
and you'll find all that you need.

If your looking for something else, ask your question a different way or state what problems you're having and why you think you need to bleed the system.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #3

Well my car lost coolant, , I had to add green coolant and at the end it was just a loose clamp and hose .

So I need to put hose back, tighten clamp and flush the cooling system and put new coolant.

Is it possible to do this on a 987 without any special tools?
Main concern ere is bleeding the system so no bubbles are trapped insise the cooling system.
motoadve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:36 PM   #4

This was discussed just yesterday.

smoke from passenger vent

The newer method is to use a vacum device, but you also need an air compressor. This is what the dealers are now supposed to use.

It is kind of neat. Vacum is used to suck the old stuff out. The empty cooling system is then under a vacum. That vacum is then used to suck the new stuff in.

UView Airlift is such a device, but you need the compressor to use it.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #5

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
This was discussed just yesterday.

smoke from passenger vent

The newer method is to use a vacum device, but you also need an air compressor. This is what the dealers are now supposed to use.

It is kind of neat. Vacum is used to suck the old stuff out. The empty cooling system is then under a vacum. That vacum is then used to suck the new stuff in.

UView Airlift is such a device, but you need the compressor to use it.

I have drained the water and anti freeeze several times. I just use the pressure relief valve under the plastic at the oil and water fill point. I have had no problems with this technique...

catmanluge is offline   Reply With Quote