Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2002, 08:18 PM   #1

Question Best 986-Ready Road in North America?

After driving the road shown in the following image last week (sadly, not in the Boxster ), got to wondering where the best road to really 'use' the Boxster's capabilities would be... what do you folks think? What are your favorite roads?

-Don

PS: this is a shot of the Cabot Trail as it winds through the highlands of the Cape Breton National Park in Nova Scotia, Canada. Breathtaking scenery and fun to drive. Elevation change rate is rapid and just the few moving roadblocks (motor homes) to scoot around on those tight turns as you climb and drop...

Last edited by donv; 10-03-2002 at 02:27 PM.
donv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 08:19 AM   #2
JT
Administrator and Founder

Very Nice roads. I should post some pictures of the cascade loop in the Northwest.

none the less, keep one thing in mind. Drive safely
Old 09-25-2002, 01:41 PM   #3
Regional Moderator

California is really nice

Last fall I drove on 84 (I think) between the coast and the Bay area, and I thought that was pretty amazing. There's really something for everyone in California. Some of the fastest, flattest highways; twisty redwood lined roads; superman-style mountain roads near Lake Tahoe. I sure wish I'd had a Boxster when I lived in northern California!

Don, I hope you can join us for the VT run. I found a 15 mile section of road which isn't even listed on most maps which looks crazy! It definitely looks promising.
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 06:42 PM   #4

wow, the perfect driving road. That is a tough one. With the exception of extensive driving in the upper-midwest, I have mainly driven most of the lower 48 on Interstates.

My vote at this time would be PCH, north of Big Sur. Not a super fast route, but the sites.... Wow!

We need to see pics of where to plan trips.
ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 03:41 PM   #5

Thumbs up "Great Northwest" Roads

Agree on the PCH - we just had a chance to drive it (US 101) up the Oregon coast and onto the Olympic peninsula in Wash. over the past two weeks - definite fun road when you hit the open twisty stretches! (Sadly, a few pockets of sprawl-block along the way too... just a minor inconvenience... ). Routes to/up Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, Crater Lake, etc. were also a blast.

Again, we found ourselves Boxster-less for this trip (we need to develop a "carry-on" version!), but we lucked out in being upgraded to a Mustang convertible from the originally booked econobox. I was pleasantly surprized w/the brakes - while the whole chassis was quite "jittery", we could still have some fun on the high mountain switchbacks, etc. Sadly, just a 6-cylinder automatic and no V-8 though...

Hey, Jorge: you've got some fun roads in the Portland area! We took a quick jaunt out to Hood River on the Historic Columbia River Highway and came back on the Washington side on our last day... great stuff. Fun roads all around the city, like the ones up to the Japanese Garden - lots of hills and tight winding stuff making for fun even at moderate speeds... Midas, et al, must sell a lot of brakes there ?!
Old 10-11-2003, 06:39 AM   #6

Perfect roads??? I can imagine several very good roads around the world. Here in Virginia I do know that SKyline Drive in Shannandoah is very curvy and nice and wide for nice moderate speeds. That is were just about ALL the car clubs around here go a few times a year for nice rides and occasionally rip into your vehicle and see what its made of
Old 10-13-2003, 01:20 PM   #7

Talking Skyline is nice!

Skyline is nice -- drove a section of that a couple of years ago. A great feature besides the curves is that there are few entries/exits from it and some wonderful views, given that it is parkland (National Park Service?).

Funny story on this one... On our way back to the DC area, we took one of the exit roads heading off the ridge in the right direction -- and came upon this really screwy downhill hairpin corner with reverse camber! Yes, the corner leans *away* from the inside instead of the normal way, towards the center. Let's just say it was exciting.

At the bottom of the hill, we stopped at a farm stand and got into a conversation with the owner. He told us that every weekend the ambulance and tow crews make multiple trips up the road to that corner for motorcyclists. Seems they end up flung off the corner - they try to lean into the turn and just slide off due to the outward slope. Nobody seemed concerned about fixing it so it wouldn't happen...

Last edited by donv; 10-13-2003 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:39 PM   #8
Forum Member

www.tailofthedragon.com

Tail of the Dragon
318 curves in 11 miles
Pure fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CarrierDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 01:41 PM   #9
Forum Member

Opps let me try that again

Click here
CarrierDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 08:10 AM   #10

Wow - a road with a fan club!