Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 06:27 AM   #1

Oh... the emotions

Buying a Boxster has been an interesting experience. It seems to have brought a whole array of emotions from from everybody I know. At work a few guys upstairs all made a trip downstairs and checked it out, mostly I got no input at all.... One guy, a Corvette owner said "Man.. thats a hot car.", another guy who is a real car guy who owns both a Corvette and a Mini Cooper S, got pretty excited and really liked it, and it wanting me to come to a track day at Sebring with him and his Corvette.
However, this one guy, who is a pickup truck driver said I bought a "Pink chick car." actually my car is Arena Red.
What is wrong with people... is this a jealousy thing?

jeveretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #2

Probably a jealousy thing.

I was out last night with a bunch of my buddies trying to plan out some track days, and my friend with a Cooper S asked me if I thought the Boxster would do well on the track, considering as he put it, a "Porsche just for cruising". Some people just don't realize its potential and just assume since it isn't a 911 its not a real Porsche.

It was just funny to hear that out of a Cooper S driver.
concept84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #3

I get alot of weird comments all the time.

I just normally agree with them and move on.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:08 PM   #4

Wink

Seriously I could care less what people think or say about my car. The thrill I get from driving it is all mine. I went for a long drive just this afternoon and the thrill is real. I would rather have a boxster than a 911. But that's just me. Enjoy your car !
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:16 PM   #5

It continues to amaze me that folks are upset about other folk's opinion about their car.

Go figure.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:32 AM   #6

I'm with you Brucelee. I never told anyone when I bought either of my Porsche's. I park in the back of the parking lot to prevent door dings, so no one I work with knows what I drive. When we start talking gas prices (inevitable conversation these days), I just say that my VW Touareg gets 13 mpg and leave it at that.

I do not have my P for anyone but myself. Yeah, it gets comments, both positive and negative, but neither change the way I feel on the open road.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
It continues to amaze me that folks are upset about other folk's opinion about their car.

Go figure.
I don't know were you got that I was upset? I just really don't understand the mentality. I am just a bit amazed at the psychology of other being hateful about my car. I posted here wondering if you guys had similar experiences.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #8
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I would say the jealous mentality is normal. Most people are jealous and ignorant, because they fail to realize that I probably paid less for my Boxster than they did for their truck. Look up the I hate haters thread.

(I can't believe I misspelled jealous )

Last edited by rick3000; 05-08-2008 at 07:50 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
I would say the jelous mentality is normal. Most people are jelous and ignorant, because they fail to realize that I probably paid less for my Boxster than they did for their truck. Look up the I hate haters thread.

Your absolutely right.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:34 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I've gotten some comments about it from attorneys I've worked with. Usually it's something to the effect of "Maybe I should become a court reporter." As long as they don't get ugly about it (as in only they deserve to earn a decent living) I just take it as a compliment. One guy asked me if that was my BMW in the parking lot.

I had an older guy pull up to me downtown a couple weeks ago at a light and go "Some people have alllll the money." He was driving a late-model Jaguar and wearing some kind of ship captain looking uniform. He was laughing though so I don't think he meant any harm.

At least you guys won't have other guys yelling at you going, "Heyyyyy, baby girl," and hooting and hollering. So far I haven't had a guy tell me his friend likes me and has a big c*&k yet, which happened when I was driving my Lexus.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #11

Unintentionally hilarious

That "Porsche is for cruising" guy is really funny. I mean seriously, has there even been a company more about win on Sunday, sell on Monday?
Osprey01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeveretts
Buying a Boxster has been an interesting experience. It seems to have brought a whole array of emotions from from everybody I know. At work a few guys upstairs all made a trip downstairs and checked it out, mostly I got no input at all.... One guy, a Corvette owner said "Man.. thats a hot car.", another guy who is a real car guy who owns both a Corvette and a Mini Cooper S, got pretty excited and really liked it, and it wanting me to come to a track day at Sebring with him and his Corvette.
However, this one guy, who is a pickup truck driver said I bought a "Pink chick car." actually my car is Arena Red.
What is wrong with people... is this a jealousy thing?
whenever someone says it's a chick car to me, i say..

"you're right, the chicks love it... " and leave it at that

If people came from apes, why are there still apes?
lucky_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #13

Only driven 300 miles (no spring this year in Minnesota, raining again today) in the Boxster so far and haven't had much chance to get any negatives. I will say I don't mention it at work. I am a project manager for the Corps of Engineers and all of the conservative engineers would surely brand me as a hedonistic spendthrift. Geez, they gave me crap about my A4. Of course my used Boxster didn’t cost anymore than their fancy SUVs and jumbo pickups they use to haul their mega fancy fishing boats with!

I like my sisters reaction best “Buy it, your kids don’t need to go to college”. Sort of an inside joke between us since I have no kids.

Last edited by ISUnorth; 05-10-2008 at 10:43 AM.
ISUnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_topher
whenever someone says it's a chick car to me, i say..

"you're right, the chicks love it... " and leave it at that

I just finished reading a book with a character who had a Boxster, and it was referred to as his "tangmobile."
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:06 PM   #15

anyone that says anything at all, just say "ok, so i'll see you at the next track meet, then?"...Shuts up the ricers pretty quick.

I've never had much problem with the "girl car" thing but my girlfriend says I drive the devils car since its all red and black. I like it.

2000 Porsche Boxster
-Straight-piped from cats back
-MOMO race seats
-Schnell short shifter
-RJS Harness
-High flow intake
-Eibach lowering springs
-Bilstein sport shocks
kyle986driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #16
eqs

Using the term "Chixster"or "Pink chick car" reflects the intelligence of the individual saying that. Just smile They're just insecure in their own skin.

Cheers

eqs is offline   Reply With Quote