Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2008, 08:26 PM   #1

Gunmout Fuel System Cleaner

I was just wondering if i should get this done? it is a Gumout Professional Fuel System Cleaner which supposedly removes deposits on the fuel injectors, intake valves and combustion chambers. It is some 2 step fuel system cleaning.

Just wondering if I should do it, any drawbacks? thanks

2000 Porsche Boxster
Litronics
Evo Intake
Chrome Front Grill
18" Turbo Twists
Custom Dual Magnaflow Exhaust
Custom Rear Diffuser

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6...umpic23bg5.gif
Where's my car? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:43 PM   #2

Personally, I wouldn't use it. It's primary ingredient is Petroleum Distillate JP5 (Jet Fuel 5) which is essentially massaged Kerosene.

It wouldn't do any harm, but not a lot of bang for the buck, unless the parts are soaked in kerosene for a period of time, there are better, faster acting solvents out there.

Whether or not you actually need it depends on your driving style, frequency, brand of fuel used, etc. Spending the same money on extra fuel and taking her out for a run will probably accomplish the same thing, with the added enjoyment of seat time.

The gas today is really good and unless you store the car or drive VERY infrequently (fill-ups only every 6-mos.) you really don't need it. I don't add a thing to any of our daily drivers because the fuel itself with all it's additives, does the job.

My car gets stored every winter - long enough for varnishes to form from the gas and potentially clog injectors, so every spring, I add a can of Lubromoly Jectron which targets the injectoprs specifically but also dissolves varnish. For valves, I would choose Lobro-moly Sauber. I think together they're cheaper than the Gumout and probably more effective.

Lots of people swear by lots of these products, but very few are really effective and many are just repackaged, and up-priced, common chemicals.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 05-05-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:23 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
+2 on the Jectron

My Dad and I have used them on our M96 engines and haven't had 1 slight mishap.

Is using 1 can of Jectron every 6 months o.k.? My car isn't stored. It doesn't require an oil change after using it correct?

This is the other Lubro Moly product you are referring to correct?
[IMG]https://www.************************************************************/secure/PartImages/2001.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by blinkwatt; 05-05-2008 at 10:28 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:55 AM   #4

i use jectron and redline si-1. both are great.
Benny986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:59 AM   #5
bmussatti

What I have read, recommends changing the oil after using a fuel injector cleaner. The Chevron product with Techron is Porsche approved.

Go read the Charles Navarro (spelling??) post that "Paul" put up a few weeks ago. In there, near the back page, they talk about fuel cleaners and changing the oil afterwards.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:56 AM   #6

I have had great experience with the techron additive in the bottle.

Cheap and easy. I believe it works.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:13 AM   #7

I dunno, never really looked into changing the oil after using such a cleaner.

Not that I'm against changing the oil at all, I go 7500 mi./annually.

But, I would think that there are enough VOCs in these types of cleaners that one good run at speed and operating temp would pretty much purge them from the system.

With an almost 10Qt. Oil System, I don't think there's any real danger. Fuel gets added to the oil all the time and is a very good solvent itself. If these things were much of a factor, I can't believe Porsche would be promoting such a long change interval as they are, or that we don't see even more engines doin' the nasty.
1999 Porsche Boxster

Old 05-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #8

is this similar to seafoam/GM Top End cleaner?

i've used both in various cars with great luck on high-mileage engines, but little-to-no gain in low-mid mileage cars.... used both in air intake/brake booster, not gas additive or oil additive

as for just a gas addititive, i prefer the lucas oil ones... as far as my reading goes it's the best to use..

If people came from apes, why are there still apes?
lucky_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #9

The Gunmout fuel system cleaner costs about 20 bucks at walmart and they do it for me. Normally i would agree on on just running good gas, but i live in southern California and our gas here is of the lowest quality compared to like new york. So yea im thinking about doing it.

2000 Porsche Boxster
Litronics
Evo Intake
Chrome Front Grill
18" Turbo Twists
Custom Dual Magnaflow Exhaust
Custom Rear Diffuser

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6...umpic23bg5.gif
Where's my car? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_topher
is this similar to seafoam/GM Top End cleaner?

i've used both in various cars with great luck on high-mileage engines, but little-to-no gain in low-mid mileage cars.... used both in air intake/brake booster, not gas additive or oil additive

as for just a gas addititive, i prefer the lucas oil ones... as far as my reading goes it's the best to use..
Yes, both the Gumout and Seafoam use Petroleum distillate (JP5) as their primary ingredient.

One issue with people's loyalties to these products is that they get an older engine which usually has lots of deposits. They select a product, any product really. And since there is such a buildup of deposits, they all work to a degree and make the engine smoother.

Now if that same person tries another product, but without deposit buid-up to the same degree as before, the effects are less dramatic and the person reasons that the 'new' product is less effective when in fact it wasn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

I have to admit being guilty in my choice of the Lubro-Moly products. I chose them and they work well. They are highly endorsed by several Porsche, BMW and MB sources and owners, so I've stuck with them.

But, in general, I'm not an advocate of engine additives. I've seen through the years that proper, timely maintenance pretty much alleviates the need for them. The only reason I use them at all is that I store the car for 6 mos. or more each year - enough time for varnishes to be released from the gas. I could drain/purge the fuel system before storage as an alternative, but it's too much work and doesn't offer the same degree of corrosion protection since the tank is vented and moist air can migrate inside and cause corrosion.

1999 Porsche Boxster