986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Generic Battery? Car is dead.. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16634-generic-battery-car-dead.html)

Perfectlap 05-05-2008 11:05 AM

Generic Battery? Car is dead..

This is one of those deals that can only happen to me. Parked the car in the garage overnight. Got in the next morning and I noticed the key blade was still in the ignition and the dashboard and radio were still on. Somehow the key blade disconnected from the clicker and I hadn't noticed when I got out of the car!
I pull the blade out the ignition with my hand and use my back up key to fire up the car. No problem. Moved it a few feet to rinse the top. Get back in the car and now the dang thing is freaking out. When I turn the key the dash lights up and radio comes on, top retracts (albeit slowly). When I turn the key all the way to with my foot down on the clutch the lights all start flashing on and off, the windows make some noise and I can hear the engine area making a loud click click click sound in sync with the flash flash flash of the dash board lights.

Before this I was getting the ocassional squeal from the starter. My first thought its finally dead. I called my local dealer he wants me to tow it in and they are promising me a $350 battery replacement if that's all that wrong. I'd like to test that out for myself first. Any suggestions for a generic battery that I can purchase over the counter? Or do you think this sounds like the starter or alternator.

90red 05-05-2008 12:56 PM

Sent you a PM via renntech... I live in NJ and have a spare battery - you're welcome to try it out.

Brucelee 05-05-2008 01:06 PM

Any replacement battery is fine. Costco and Kragen have batteries for around $60. :)

blue2000s 05-05-2008 04:30 PM

If you first take out the battery and bring it to an auto parts store they will test it for you to see if it's your problem. That's free and will save you from replacing something that may not be your problem, although it does sound like it might be your problem.

Norminhouston 05-05-2008 06:24 PM

Sounds like the ignition switch is bad. Repair is easy. Part # 4AO 905 849 available from ******************************** AZ for about $11. A common problem with Boxsters. I always carry a spare.

skip_168 05-06-2008 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
This is one of those deals that can only happen to me. Parked the car in the garage overnight. Got in the next morning and I noticed the key blade was still in the ignition and the dashboard and radio were still on. Somehow the key blade disconnected from the clicker and I hadn't noticed when I got out of the car!
I pull the blade out the ignition with my hand and use my back up key to fire up the car. No problem. Moved it a few feet to rinse the top. Get back in the car and now the dang thing is freaking out. When I turn the key the dash lights up and radio comes on, top retracts (albeit slowly). When I turn the key all the way to with my foot down on the clutch the lights all start flashing on and off, the windows make some noise and I can hear the engine area making a loud click click click sound in sync with the flash flash flash of the dash board lights.

Before this I was getting the ocassional squeal from the starter. My first thought its finally dead. I called my local dealer he wants me to tow it in and they are promising me a $350 battery replacement if that's all that wrong. I'd like to test that out for myself first. Any suggestions for a generic battery that I can purchase over the counter? Or do you think this sounds like the starter or alternator.

make sure your battery connections are clean & tight.