986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Does the rear trunk really get that Hot (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16567-does-rear-trunk-really-get-hot.html)

gmboxster 04-30-2008 05:29 PM

Does the rear trunk really get that Hot

I'm just curious, I hear a lot of you saying how hot the rear trunk gets. Does it really get that hot ? Or is it just exaggeration ? If it does indeed get that hot, then is it really useful ?

PSL-Boxster 04-30-2008 06:05 PM

lets just say that its hot enough to keep the papa john's pizza warm till i get home :cheers:

RandallNeighbour 04-30-2008 06:52 PM

or melt your ice cream if you live further than 10 minutes from the store and you weren't in the grocery store for 2 hours to let the exhaust cool down.

I drove my box across country with the factory muffler on it and dangit, the rear trunk got so hot it melted the laces of my tennis shoes partially into the sole!

Really. :eek:

So the answer is emphatically YES. It gets hot back there.

Of course, adding just about any aftermarket muffler solves the problem due to sheer size and placement changes.

LoveBunny 04-30-2008 10:13 PM

Is this on all years? I don't think I've noticed mine getting that hot. I drive around with my laptop and other equipment back there so I really hope not. It doesn't feel too hot when I take the case out, but I have to be careful not to lean up against the exhaust when I pull it out.

Tool Pants 05-01-2008 03:20 AM

Not only do you have the muffler below the trunk, you have the coolant tank in the trunk.

I had a plastic toy Boxster police car in the trunk for a long time. When I took it out it had started to melt.

Frodo 05-01-2008 03:25 AM

I have a blanket in the rear trunk, that I use to cover the passenger seat when I take "Jake", my springer spaniel with me in the car. (It's usually to some trailhead somewhere to do some hiking, or to work on those days I drive the Box---I take him virtually every day.) Anyway, if I've been driving for awhile (without Jake), then get home, I can pull that blanket out of the trunk 2-3 hours later and it STILL feels like it just came out of the dryer.

LB, I'd probably keep the laptop in the front. In addition to less (no) heat, it's less likely to slide around up front.

skip_168 05-01-2008 03:30 AM

the trunk did a nice job at steaming some carrots last weekend... they didn't taste half bad...

hjkim550 05-01-2008 04:58 AM

LB,

I have to agree with Frodo. No matter what year you have, our OEM muffler does an amazing job of baking the rear trunk. I would keep the laptop upfront just to make sure. I have my laptop either in the front passenger seat or in the front trunk.

kabel 05-01-2008 05:08 AM

Yes it gets very warn in there. I have been pondering a hot meal I could "cook" in the trunk on the way to some quaint picnic spot. Think there is a market for a "cooking in your trunk" cook book? :p

Bob Z. 05-01-2008 05:59 AM

Yes- when going on a picnic put the baked beans in the rear trunk & beer in the front trunk.

blue2000s 05-01-2008 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
Not only do you have the muffler below the trunk, you have the coolant tank in the trunk.

I had a plastic toy Boxster police car in the trunk for a long time. When I took it out it had started to melt.

You must carry a camera in your pants all the time, along with all the tools.

rick3000 05-01-2008 06:07 AM

It gets hot enough to make any coolant that has leaked evaporate, so yes it gets pretty hot back there. :cheers:

70Sixter 05-01-2008 07:32 AM

Well, I got my interest peaked by the cooking aspects of the rear trunk. So I just did the old microwave test. I put a puppy in the trunk and drove around for an hour.

Man, I don't think I'll ever get the puppy guts out the carpet. :eek:

eqs 05-01-2008 09:42 AM

Very interesting :D

2kwiq 05-01-2008 11:39 AM

lol...couldn't one of us just put a thermostat in the back and find out? piitb

CJ_Boxster 05-01-2008 11:55 AM

It keeps my baseball glove nice and soft.

LoveBunny 05-01-2008 01:13 PM

I put my bag in the back today, drove about 15 or 20 minutes, and when I got where I was going I took out the bag and felt it. It didn't feel hot to me. The laptop is towards the top of the rolling bag, but the problem is that the bag is so big I can't put it in my front seat and I think it would be a lot more difficult to get it in the front trunk.

This is a picture of my bag. That zipper towards the top is where the laptop goes. I've got my court reporting machine underneath though, which costs more than a laptop.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3183/...261f6721b9.jpg

gmboxster 05-01-2008 01:32 PM

If all of that is true, then what CAN be stored in the rear trunk on trips ? Other than just clothes.

LoveBunny 05-01-2008 01:48 PM

I have to travel an hour or two each way for work tomorrow. I'm planning on putting a thermometer in my trunk to see how hot it really gets.

TriGem2k 05-01-2008 01:55 PM

So what exactly is going to happen to my Speedster humps after countless hours of driving with them in the rear trunk? Will they melt and change shape?