Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #1

Sun glasses

Ok, my daily driver a f-150, I have a pair of beater glasses because I'm not the most careful person with glasses. I keep a pair of Maui Jims in the Boxster. they are by far the most comfortable glasses I have ever had. The funny thing is they are polarized. It seems my windows darken when the sun is out. When the glass is cold, and you are wearing polarized lenses, the glass looks like defective glass. It's very splotchy, after it gets warm it evens out. I think the tinting addative misaligns when its cold but you can't see it with the naked eye. Also when I tilt my head all the LCD display lights disappear. So if it's light out and I lean closer to the radio to see the display, in the process of leaning you head starts to tilt, the display disappears. there are lots of other funny things you see (or don't see) with polarized lenses. anyone else notice these funny things?
Ken

SoCalKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:18 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
I have polarized lenses as well. Recently I had my windows tinted and the film they used is polarized too. I get double polarization when I look out the window with my shades on which turns windshields on all the other cars around me into a rainbow laser light show. I have the same deal with the radio display. You have to look at it straight on. I have to take my shades off entirely to read my Ipod display.
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #3

There are good non-polarized lenses out there. I keep a pair of Serengeti Drivers in wife's X5, with polarized Maui Jim's in the Box to prevent windshield glare.

I'd recommend nothing but good quality glasses with 100% UVA and UVB protection.
Both my father and father-in-law suffered from macular generation.

Dark glasses can causes your eyes to dilate and actually let more harmful rays in if they are not 100% protective.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Im about to buy some Original Ray Ban Wayfarers... coolest sunglasses on the planet.. just dont know weather i want polorized or not

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Im about to buy some Original Ray Ban Wayfarers... coolest sunglasses on the planet.. just dont know weather i want polorized or not
It's not that they are bad (the polarized ones) it's that you see funny stuff that you never even knew. You'll be seeing checkered patterns on other peoples rear glass, just wierd stuff. I also saw the light show when I had them on in my wife's truck with tint, funny stuff.
Ken
SoCalKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:25 PM   #6
FTD

Quote:
You want polarized for the protective capability. And the 'weird' stuff you see is actually very cool. Polarized glass viewed with a polarized lens is cool. And I saw some funky light/color effects on the ocean water with polarized lens. But anyway, for eye protection it is my understanding that you want polarized.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #7

I have a pair of polarized Ray-Bans with amber lenses that have the checkered window effect. I've never noticed it with dark lenses before.
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #8
dj1

Quote:

I got a prescription pair of those(also polarized) about 2 months ago. i get compliments on them all the time. One thing about the polarized thing, I can't see the screen on my gps at all. Have to take them off and put on my reading glasses to see it(i'm an old guy - 54) They are the coolest glasses on the planet tho!
dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:32 AM   #9

odd effect

I could not see my heads-up display (last vehicle) with my polarized lenses on ...
Old 06-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #10
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Boxster
I have a pair of polarized Ray-Bans with amber lenses that have the checkered window effect. I've never noticed it with dark lenses before.
I see it with the Maui Jim blue lens
Old 06-05-2008, 11:49 AM   #11

Actually Polarized lenses do not offer any more protection. By Law - all eyewear sold in the US must be 100% UVA and UVB resistant.

Polarized glasses aid in the reduction/elimination of glare - they can help you see better, but don't offer any more protection.

I would always choose Polarized lenses because of their ability to let you see better.

Agreed, Wayfarers are the coolest... I own several pair, all more than 20 yrs. old w/ the original acetate frames and ground glass lenses (since 1952) - when they were still owned/produced by Bausch & Lomb.

B&L sold Ray-Ban to the Italian Luxottica Group who now produces them, but with cheaper nylon frames and polycarbonate lenses.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
You want polarized for the protective capability. And the 'weird' stuff you see is actually very cool. Polarized glass viewed with a polarized lens is cool. And I saw some funky light/color effects on the ocean water with polarized lens. But anyway, for eye protection it is my understanding that you want polarized.
What were you smoking or taking at the time?
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
What were you smoking or taking at the time?
1+ vote/guess for LSD lol jk

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #14

Quote:
I wear Serengeti Drivers. I have a boat and all of the screens for GPS, depth readers etc. I couldn't read with polarized lens. The Serengetis change with the conditions; bright sunshine, rain, fog, snow, what ever. They can't be beat.
Tom Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #15
FTD

Quote:
no, totally sober. just a spirit of fun.