986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   SALVAGE YARD FIND!! what do i need?? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16541-salvage-yard-find-what-do-i-need.html)

jonnycool 04-29-2008 05:12 AM

SALVAGE YARD FIND!! what do i need??

i just bought this from a salvage yard (i think it should clean up) what i would like

to know is what other parts do i need to make this work on my 1997 2.5? All i

have is what you see in the pics, i'll go polish it up and pray this i gonna fit my

new decat pipes :( ps it's making the valves work thats the biggest task plus

mounting it

thanx

Dragonwind 04-29-2008 07:28 AM

Will, some brasso will be in order. :) You may need to get the other mount for it (that fist the S) to attach it to the transmission. I was using my oroginal bracket and just drilled new holes till I got the correct mount. It will fit without too much difficulty.

At least yours has the vacuum attachments which is more than mine had. However, it is easier to just leave it on all the time.
Chris

insite 04-29-2008 07:35 AM

the newer mufflers are not compatible with the bracket on your car that holds the muffler to your transmission. you will need the updated bracket. it WILL fit your car. the part number is 996.111.226.02 and the list price is $42.76. when you do the job, bring some PB blaster to help you separate the old muffler.

here is a picture of the bracket:

jonnycool 04-29-2008 08:47 AM

GREAT!!! thanx. i noticed on the vacuum THING (proper name escapes me ..accuator?) the bolts have rusted, will it still work when plumbed in or will the angle of it lose pressure? (it's on a tilt) do these only work on vacuum pressure or can this work with a switch? i don't really know much about the in's and outs of PSE

Tool Pants 04-29-2008 07:57 PM

You also need 3 bolts to mount the bracket. 6 are shown in the pic because when you buy the adapter as a kit there are 3 bolts for a manual transmission and 3 shorter bolts for a tiptronic.

The vacuum things are vacuum operated bypass valves. I would just leave it as it is and put it in. It will be in the bypass/loud mode all the time. That exhaust is not really loud.

insite 04-30-2008 04:01 AM

i didn't need extra bolts when i did mine. the bolts that hold your 2.5L bracket to the transmission are the same part number as the ones that hold the 2.7L bracket to the transmission.

jonnycool 04-30-2008 09:34 AM

insite, will i also need the parts 18, 14, 9, 8, and 6 in the diagram you sent me or is this another case of porsche OVER engineering, i dont want it falling off but as they say...less is more does it really need the bottom bracket?

insite 05-02-2008 12:48 PM

that part is already on your car; you can just re-use it.

jonnycool 05-02-2008 05:45 PM

cool ! well it cleaned up ok, but i had to take the lightbulb out of the bathroom (rest room?) so the wife did'nt see the state of HER tooth brush....lol