Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2004, 11:42 AM   #1
Forum Member

Doing trackday this weekend have Q's

Hi,
I'm doing a trackday this weekend in my 03 boxster s. I was wondering what steps I should take to get the car ready. I'll probably put an extra quart of oil in, and maybe add some watter wetter to the radiator. What else?

jrummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 05:57 PM   #2

You don't mention who is hosting the track day, but whatever group it is should provide you with information like that posted at http://www.porschenet.com/DEtech.html . If nothing else, they will likely have some form of helmet requirement and should have some basic equipment requirements (tread depth, etc.). My local Porsche club requires an inspection in advance of the event to cover the items on the list at that URL..

Track days are a blast, have a great time and stay safe!
Old 11-12-2004, 06:11 PM   #3

Adjust your air pressure - I like 33 front , 35-36 rear for my 02S.

Bring a camera.

The Boxster is a perfect "drive what you brung" car, so there really isn't much preparation needed - besides the tech inspection and helmet - and on the East Coast a Fire Extinguisher.

Mentally - I subscribe to the rule, if it feels really exciting on the track, you are driving beyond your abilities. Like a good roller coaster, once you get off the track you realise how excited you were and wonder where the 20 minutes went. You will do better driving smooth than driving fast (expect to hear this a LOT on track day)

Remember Boxster's Rule! Once you are on the track you will discover your brakes are a lot better than most of the cars out there. Your cornering is better than almost everyone else (I believe it was an 030 S that was the #2 fastest stock car in the world through the slalom- second only to the McClaren F1) . This means that if you are following an older 911 be prepared for them to brake ridiculously early. If you are passed by a 996TT on the straight, expect to catch up with them at the exit of the next corner. I am not saying your should TRY to outcorner them, I am saying becareful not to ACCIDENTALLY outcorner them and have to slow way down in the middle of a curve.

Overall, relax and enjoy. Your instructor will tell you what you need to know.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 06:13 PM   #4

PS - you won't need water wetter - My temp guage doesn't even budge at Lime Rock and only went up about 3 degrees at Watkins Glen.

Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote