Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2008, 06:52 AM   #1

Speaker Replacement

I'm sure this topic has been covered to death.
I have an 01 S.
The woofer replacement is easy enough but to replace the tweeter I just need to solder in another on in its place?
I know my factory speakers are blown but I don't know if it's the tweeters or the woofers. I just hear a nasty crackle from both left and right speakers when I turn up the volume. Also how the heck do you get the cover off for the door speakers??
Thanks for any help.

arkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
If you do a search there is a lot of info on this. But to answer your question:
To replace a tweeter you just have to wire/solder a new tweeter in, but you also have to figure out how to mount it, probably with glue, it's the same with the 4" dash speakers.

If you search there are a lot of instruction on taking the door apart to replace the woofers (wikipedia), and I am not sure about figuring out which speakers are busted. I would try placing my hand over the speaker grills with the volume up to see if you can feel the air movement. And before you go dissembling the door just pull the dash speakers out and look for damage. The dash speakers are a lot easier to replace than the woofers.
Also, if the factory system is alright with you, you can buy new dash grills with the speaker and tweeter already attached.
Hope this Helps!