986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   steady light on key fob (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16470-steady-light-key-fob.html)

t2-bxtrs 04-24-2008 05:36 PM

steady light on key fob

hello everyone,
took out the Box today, filled up gas and went for a drive and stopped for latte..
getting in the car,trying to open door by remote and opened door and a alarm came on! noticed that central locking light on, turned it off, started car and off i went..
now the LED on my key fob is staying on all the time!
any body exeprienced this before ? what could be wrong?
thanks..
t2-bxtrs (04'986S)

Lil bastard 04-24-2008 11:30 PM

Stuck switch on the Key head most likely - dismantle and make sure it's not sticking and free of any possible debris - pocket lint, etc...

Tool Pants 04-25-2008 02:13 AM

Remove the battery from the remote and then put it back in.

t2-bxtrs 04-26-2008 10:12 AM

steady light on key fob

thanks for the input toolpants/lil'b.. took battery out of key fob.. light stayed on. disconnected battery terminal from car, same result..
took battery out of key fob again, and left it out overnight.. this morning put battery back on key fob, light came off .. tried remote on car, started , everything's fine once again.. whew!

dan.oneufer 01-08-2013 03:05 PM

Identical symptoms--identical solution. Had it not been for this forum I would have had to call a dealer or something.

Once again, thanks to all who contribute!

rcbox2k1 01-08-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan.oneufer (Post 323046)
Identical symptoms--identical solution. Had it not been for this forum I would have had to call a dealer or something.

Once again, thanks to all who contribute!

I love this forum and the people that contributes to help others!

CoBeerToad 01-09-2013 05:43 AM

Had the same issue a few months ago. When I pulled the battery out, it was hot. Like very hot. And very magnetic. Replaced it with another battery and everything is all good, but I'm still curious as to why it was so hot and especially why it was magnetic?

Bruce Wayne 01-09-2013 08:59 AM

i had a key event a year or so ago.. parked up, for about 15 mins and used the key to unlock the car, the light went on and stayed on and wouldnt unlock the car, popped into a shop to get new battery tried that, no change.

the long and the short of it was that i needed a new key and was informed by the main stealer that the old style keys can loose their coding, they did upgrade the keys at some point due to this.

1. if the key is screwed its a main dealer item as the key needs to be coded to the car by the porsche computer system ( apparantly durametric or or any other system cannot apart from the porsche main dealer system.

2. if your key does take a 'fart' you can unlock the car manually but you have to start the ignition with 10 seconds with the key (recognised by the rfid chip) or the immobiliser system will kick in and it wont start at all.

that'ts what the mean dealer advised me and they did to be fair knock some off the price the new key and programming (15%) if i recall.