Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 01:29 PM   #1

Gear shift boot knob question

Call me mechanically inept ok. The factory boot on my 99 Boxster gear shift cracked and peeled.... bought nice new leather one. I can't figure out how to pull the gear shift knob off so that I can replace the boot.

thanks
Doug

DJBeighle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Try searching for instructions on how to remove the center console. That will give some detail on how to do this. Perhaps, someone with more experience can post some advice.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
EE3racing

Start by gently prying up the boot where it meets the console. It has a plastic ring sewn into the leather with small locks that snap into the console. Once loosened, turn the unit inside out and raise it on the shift lever as high as you can. Look around the base of the contoured shift knob and locate an allen type locking screw, loosen that and it should come right off.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
If you have the standard shift knob (not the upgraded aluminum shifters), all you have to do is use your fingertips to snap off the base of the boot from the center console. Pry it up with your fingers, and it will just pop off. Then, just put the shift lever in 2nd gear, grab the shift handle and just pull the knob towards your chest. It will pop right out, as it is friction fit.

The upgraded knobs utilize a set screw to secure the knob that is located under the knob in the 3rd gear position.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:38 PM   #5

if you have the friction fit, be careful not to pull up on the knob so hard that once its free, you wack yourself in the head.

i can neither confirm nor deny that happening to me. : )
Benny986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:00 AM   #6

lol i just changed mine moments ago, the old gearshift knob is a perfect fit for the average human eyeball socket.....ahem! Now i'm off to fit a new parking brake lever, anyone know of any step by step instructions for this job?...
jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:58 PM   #7

parking brake. just pull as well. i did it when the center console was out, but i would think that you can do it w/o removing the center console.

Benny986 is offline   Reply With Quote