986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Greetings New owner of a 2000 S (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/1635-greetings-new-owner-2000-s.html)

Perfectlap 11-09-2004 09:23 AM

Greetings New owner of a 2000 S

Greetings from New Jersey we lost our governor but I got a BOXSTER! It's a 2000 S silver/burgundy(not sure if those are the official color names). I'm still trying to get rid of my Miata there have been a zillion emails and calls and I don't have room for both. hopefully the Boxster will be on the road this weekend.

have a few questions first should I look into a servicing contract?
I don't drive the car often but during the summer I'll be getting in a good 12 or so Autocross events. Probably less than 6k miles a year and it only has 10,000 miles right now. Any suggestions on service contract companies would be welcome. Also here in New Jersey we have 6 month powertrain warranties. I'm thinking about taking it over to my local Porsche Dealer (Ray Catena) and having them look it over for possible repairs(I know I should have done this before I bought).

Now for fun stuff,
I would like to add side rocker/aero whatevers. Does anyone think My 17" wheels would work with this mod? I really like the GT2 nose kit, if anyone has any expericence here in NY/NJ with that and suggetions on who I should buy from go ahead an send me an email.
Thanks
Oscar
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...278357_123.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...278357_125.jpg

Perfectlap 11-09-2004 10:07 AM

oh by the way here are some neoprene seat covers I'm strongly considering. I have them on my Miata and they are great. THey provide some nice extra cushioning. They are on sale for $240.
I'm thinking about light gray with burgundy piping.

http://wetokole.net/Merchant2/graphi.../porsche_l.jpg

here's another pic, I think its the same color

http://wetokole.net/photogallery/pics/2092.jpg

mrmickeymouse 11-09-2004 10:30 AM

When you change noses, you are upsetting the balance of the vehicle at speed.

The GT2 nose is made for the coefficient of the GT2. If you are into less then 70-80 MPH you will probably not notice much.

When you reach the big boy's speed [triple digits] your balance may be hampered or worst unbalanced.

You may actually be slower then stock... [creating more drag] The Boxster in it's stock form; roof up [better hardtop] and windows closed is pretty slippery. If you stayed with the S nose, you will most likely be faster.

There is no form without function.

Scott

Perfectlap 11-09-2004 10:43 AM

Thanks but I don't have the stomach for going that fast in a straight line. I've personally known a few people who have been killed in high speed impacts and since I started autocrossing this year I have a new respect for drving within my limits. I never thought driving in no higher than 2nd gear could be so challenging and fast.
But I do take your point on the pitfalls of re-engineering a car that has spent thousands of hours being perfected in a wind tunnel. Unlike my previous Miata I have no plans to alter the car significantly other than a few styling mods.

Sentinel 11-09-2004 11:45 AM

Welcome.

Lessons I've learned when I got my 2000.

Make sure you have the owner's manual.
If your wheels have locks, make sure you can find the key.
Learn how to access the engine and the gas door.
Be careful when cleaning the plastic rear window. =)
This forum has been a tremendous help to me.

Enjoy!

Perfectlap 11-09-2004 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sentinel
Welcome.

Lessons I've learned when I got my 2000.

Make sure you have the manual.

Don't worry no tiptronic for me!:D

stick shift forever!

mrmickeymouse 11-09-2004 02:04 PM

It's funny you should say that, I won't do this or that to my Boxster. I said the same thing, and just added up my bought stuff [wholesale] $5000.00 in the last year.

That is not including all my work which I did myself. Probably doubles that amount.

Good luck with second gear.

Scott

porsche986 11-11-2004 05:26 AM

Yer i learned a big lesson i was stupid enough to race a subaru Imprezza sti last year. He couldnt get anywhere near me and the boxster was leaving it... not even his little dump valve could sort it out. But when I went over a blind hill where the road turned fast and i smashed my front and rear up and wrecked my door, mirror, quater pannel, farmers fence, rad and more....

with a cost of £5,000 thats about $9,300.

A lesson learned... dont let someone push you for a race.

Lights to lights is ok, but not along a country lane i must has been crazy when i think back.

Perfectlap 11-11-2004 06:10 AM

ouch,
Well money can be replaced but your limbs are priceless
how is the autocross participation in the UK?

Pilot2519j 11-14-2004 01:05 PM

Congratulations on the car. Use it with enthusiasm. The interior of the car looks very nice. Unusual combination.

Pilot2519j 11-14-2004 01:06 PM

I meant to tell you that I also wanted to modify the car but have know learned to enjoy it with the standard equipment.

Lux 11-14-2004 05:31 PM

Welcome, and nice color combo! :cheers:

I've got the Aerokit II (minus the tail) and I think it totally transforms the look of the car. 17" wheels might look a little weird with it though. I've got 18's and it still needs a drop. Eibach/Bilstein here I come. :D

And don't forget to add a B&M short shift. IMHO, best bang-for-the-buck mod and a must-have.

Perfectlap 11-15-2004 10:23 AM

I won't be making any performance modifications because I want to compete in SCCA stock class for Autocross. Purely cosmetics for me. Still looking for a set of side rockers and I seem to have lost the second set of keys....*&#@! :(
I stoped by the dealer and they said $260. Ouch, I better keep looking.
by the way how do you raise the spoiler when the car is parked?
and does anyone know where I can buy one of those car covers just for the softop? It's only a matter time before Heathcliff and his gang sniff out the new territory when I'm not around.

Ad Sach 11-15-2004 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Perfectlap
... how do you raise the spoiler when the car is parked?
There is a rocker switch, in the plastic column near the driver's left foot. Use your finger to press and hold for about 5 seconds to raise(push on top of switch) or lower(push bottom).

Perfectlap 11-16-2004 11:03 AM

you know I read in the manual that spoiler deploys at 75mph.
I was on the highway yesterday and noticed it wasn't up while
doing 75. Do you have to sustain that speed or go above it for a certain amount of time?

Ad Sach 11-16-2004 01:22 PM

The spoiler goes up as soon as the speed is reached. Unless it is broken, it was up - you just can't see the spoiler from the driver's seat.

Following your car in someone else's car is the best way to see the spoiler 'in action'.

RandallNeighbour 11-16-2004 04:37 PM

You can also do what I did, which was to get my wife in the car, get on the freeway, crank it up to 75 mph or more, and then get her to kneel on the seat and look back and see if its up.

This is a top-down idea though... and your co-pilot has to trust you not to get in a wreck or slam on the brakes during the procedure.

Ad Sach's idea is much safer, but not nearly as exciting.

Ad Sach 11-17-2004 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by RandallNeighbour

Ad Sach's idea is much safer, but not nearly as exciting.

Yeah looking at your wife kneeling on the seat might be exciting :p ,but I'm not sure that helps you see your spoiler in action.

Having your wife drive while you kneel brings up those trust issues, so I went for having the wife drive while you try to follow in her 155MPH limitted EuroSedan :D