986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Any idea what's causing this? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16313-any-idea-whats-causing.html)

TimAustinW 04-14-2008 05:28 PM

Any idea what's causing this?

I've had this issue with my Boxster since I purchased it last July. When I use the key remote to lock my car there's a rather loud ripping sound that comes from the passenger side near the front of the door before the gas cap. It doesn't happen when I use the lock unlock switch inside. It only happens when I lock the car with my key but does not make the sound when I unlock with the key.

Here's an illustration of where the sound is coming from. When I use the switch inside I hear it lock where the red circle is. The nasty sound is illustrated in green at the front of the door.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...xsterissue.jpg

heyjae 04-14-2008 06:04 PM

Just a shot in dark, but could it actually be the locking mechanism for the gas cap? I don't know for sure, but it could be that the gas cap doesn't lock w/ you lock the car from the inside, but it does lock when you use the remote key.

rick3000 04-14-2008 06:14 PM

I am not sure but it could very well be the gas cap lock. I would look round in there and see if anything looks out of place or bent.

mn box s 04-14-2008 07:50 PM

You have the schematic. Take the door apart and grab a flash light and a friend.

Lil bastard 04-14-2008 09:09 PM

Sounds like the Gas Cap Lock as others have mentioned. It's a solenoid, and these have been known to fail.

Try pulling the manual release inside the passenger side door jamb and see if it duplicates the noise, or if it fixes the issue.

It's not in the door, but just forward of the passenger door behand the door pillar.

If not, you're probably looking at replacement. The part is called actuator and the PN# is 996.624.113.00 .

Joskin 04-15-2008 03:14 AM

Agreed here that it is the gas door (tank flap) locking mechanism. Check to see that the small plastic clip-in ring guide is in place, it clips into the metal frame and positions the sliding pin that locks the gas door. I had the same ripping sound which occurred when the clip-in ring fell out. If this has happened to you, you may find it sitting in the bottom of the gas fill cavity, clip it back in place and problem solved.

Best,
Joskin

clickman 04-15-2008 06:09 AM

Hope you can fix it from the outside if it's the cap locking mechanism. Working anywhere inside the fender up in the solenoid area is a real bear. I had to replace the plastic pull ring mentioned in one of the posts above.

That reminds me, if you're going to use the plastic pull ring, do it very gently. It's about the thickness of a human hair...

TimAustinW 04-15-2008 07:48 AM

Awesome! Thanks guys. It makes total sense!

rdancd816 04-15-2008 09:49 AM

Curious, I am getting a similar sound from the driver's side. Seems to be near the door latch mechanism. Is this easy to replace?

2000SoCalBoxsterS 04-16-2008 05:47 AM

If you can take some pictures of your repair process they will really help for the next person who has this problem.

TimAustinW 04-16-2008 08:17 AM

I ordered the parts last night from Pelican. It is the actuator for sure. Now I just need to find any documentation on how to remove the front right body panel to get to it. If it looks like it's something I can do myself I'll certainly document it.

2000SoCalBoxsterS 04-16-2008 08:27 AM

Tim, let me know if you need help with the docs on how to removed the door or fender. I have the Bentley's service manual and I can scan and PDF the pages you need.

TimAustinW 04-16-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000SoCalBoxsterS
Tim, let me know if you need help with the docs on how to removed the door or fender. I have the Bentley's service manual and I can scan and PDF the pages you need.

Thanks. I just picked up a copy for myself for $75 on Ebay. I figured it's time to get the service manual. Thanks for the reminder ;)

clickman 04-17-2008 08:41 PM

I had to replace the plastic pull cord, and so I had to pull out the solenoid (actuator) to do it. I recommend you DO NOT remove the fender.

Here's an excellent DYI (which unfortunately wasn't available when I did mine):

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13955

For the REALLY tight work of loosening the two screws holding the solenoid I used a small bit that comes with a multi-bit screwdriver and and a small boxend wrench that went over the back end of the bit. Be prepared with patience, it's a very tight spot. But it can be done - if I did it so can you!

TimAustinW 04-17-2008 09:14 PM

Awesome!!! Thanks for the post. That's a great write up!

Now I have to find the parts. I tried to order through Pelican Parts but they wrote this back to me...

"This email is to inform you of the status of your order.

Unfortunately, the following parts from your order are not in stock, nor were we able to source them from any of our suppliers. At this time we do not have a solid ETA on when they will be available. These are: ......

Does anyone have any suggestions on where else to look?

clickman 04-17-2008 10:10 PM

Suncoast Porsche or Sunset Porsche, unless you're Canadian in which case forget Sunset