986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Porsche Club of America, Anyone? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16256-porsche-club-america-anyone.html)

ChrisH027 04-10-2008 11:31 AM

Porsche Club of America, Anyone?

How many people here of members of the Porsche Club of America?

And if you are...How many (if any) of you are planning to come to the Parade here in Charlotte?

http://www.paradecharlotte.org/

Dragonwind 04-10-2008 11:34 AM

I am a member and will be attending the Parade. I'll be there from Saturday through Tuesday. I can't wait!
Chris

racer_d 04-10-2008 12:36 PM

I am a member of PCA. I will not be attending the parade this year.

Sloan 04-10-2008 02:08 PM

I'm also a PCA member, but will most likely not be attending the Parade. While its not so far, it would be a 'big deal' for my wife & I to both get the time off and make the drive, etc.. It was tempting though ...

DaveE 04-10-2008 02:09 PM

I've been a member since 1994 but never attended a Parade.

Lil bastard 04-10-2008 02:14 PM

I've been a member since '75 and never attended a Parade.

ChrisH027 04-10-2008 02:29 PM

I'm not even a member but I'm still attending the parade :D .

I guess it helps I live a whole 10 minutes away from where everything is going to be happening. Since I'm not a member I won't get to do alot of the fun little things, but hey, I'll get to hang out with a bunch of other Porsche owners, and I'm all about learning as much as I can about this car...I just got mine a few weeks ago.

j.fro 04-10-2008 03:32 PM

I'm a member and I'll be there from Sunday-Wednesday. I'm in Charlottesville VA, and a few of us in the Shenandoah Region are traveling down together.

J-RAD 04-10-2008 05:02 PM

Yes and no.

turbo23dog 04-10-2008 05:22 PM

You almost sound as you are not even considering joining. If you wanted to hear some of the good things about club membership:

I've been a member since 1997. I've only attended a few of the social events which are ok in their own right, but for me its more about the organized fun (rally) runs, autocross and track events that make the membership fee worth every penny. Plenty of opportunity to safely drive your Porsche in the manner for which it was designed/built, and become a better driver in the process. Plus you can get discounts from dealerships and some independent shops on parts and labor that sometimes end up exceeding the cost of the annual membership.

Granted, certain regions are more active than others, and negative perceptions of the club often come up (older age group, wine and cheese events, wash and shine crowds, you know what I'm saying...) but getting past all that, there are all kinds of folks in the PCA and hopefully you will find people who are just interested in their cars and the comraderie that comes with the club (like this board for instance). If your really lucky, you'll find local club members who are DIYers and are willing to teach you more things about your car than you might ever want to know.

ChrisH027 04-10-2008 05:59 PM

Oh, I definatly plan on joining. Only reason I haven't yet is I just recently got the car and haven't really thought alot about it yet. I found one Porsche-meeting thats happening here in NC (in Ashville, The Blue Ridge Boxster Summit) and talking to people that are going to that, learned of the PCA.

I'm going to use this oppurtunity (the Charlotte Parade) to meet some members of the group and get a feel for it. It is definatly something I am interested in (they are doing the rally at the Lowe's Motor Speedway!) - I'm no fan of nascar, but I'd love to drive around that track in a Porsche a few times! :D

I really need to learn more about this car, in every aspect, and I think this will be a good, fun way of doing just that.

Dragonwind 04-10-2008 06:49 PM

Chris, check your PM's.
:cheers:

Benny986 04-11-2008 12:01 AM

not yet. i have not had the car that long (under a year). haha.

i'm going to my first PCA autox this weekend. I'll get a feel forit. if I like the crowd, then I'll join. if not, i'll probably still join. don't we get a magazine too?

Bad Company 04-11-2008 05:46 AM

I am a member and plan to come down for Friday through Sunday. I joined the Chesapeake region and am having a great time with them. I have met a lot of good people who enjoy their cars.

2000SoCalBoxsterS 04-11-2008 05:58 AM

I am a member. I didn't know about this Parade. No sure yet if I can make it.

jmatta 04-11-2008 07:23 AM

Chris, go the the PCA National site, spend the forty dollars and join! The Panorama magazine each month is worth the money, alone. Plus, you'll have access to all the tech resources, let alone the PCA discount at Porsche dealers. I've been an active member since 1993 and am a national DE instructor, as well as a concours judge. Can't make it to Charlotte, but Chicago will be hosting in a few years.

2000SoCalBoxsterS 04-11-2008 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmatta
Chris, go the the PCA National site, spend the forty dollars and join! The Panorama magazine each month is worth the money, alone. Plus, you'll have access to all the tech resources, let alone the PCA discount at Porsche dealers. I've been an active member since 1993 and am a national DE instructor, as well as a concours judge. Can't make it to Charlotte, but Chicago will be hosting in a few years.

I've been a member for two years now and knucklehead that I am I didn't know that their was a discount at dealers for PCA members. How much is the discount? I guess you have to know and ask for it when at the dealer.

70Sixter 04-11-2008 12:43 PM

Member for 38 years. Only entered the 78 Parade in San Diego, but have sniffed around two other ogling cars. Will hit the Charlotte Parade for a day or two.

You can (at least could) usually pick-up tickets to some events like meals from people who don't want to attend that event. I once had lunch with Joe Rucz from R&T.

And met several Porsche family members and other big dogs.

Perfectlap 04-11-2008 02:34 PM

The dealer discount for PCA members depends on the dealer.
I think my big dealer here in NJ gives you 10%. So the membership pays for itself right there.
Ray Catena in Edison, NJ may have the best waiting area of any service shop I've ever been to: Pool Table, Virtual Golf, complimentary drinks, donuts and sandwiches, 10 internet kiosks, projecton tv, CLEAN bathrooms and a complimentary wash. The largest service garage I've ever seen, maybe 30 lifts.

Paul 04-11-2008 06:29 PM

I'm a 19 year member and a director of the Milwaukee club. I've been to the last 7 and am registered for Charlotte. We have more fun getting there and back than at the Parade. We have a group that may grow as high as 8 cars parading from Milwaukee.