Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2008, 04:57 AM   #1

Problems...

Hi all,

Bought a 2000 Porsche Boxster 2.7 on March 19th and had nothing but problems with it. Paid £14800 from a garage with 56000 miles on the clock. Very little work done to it and impeccable condition... or so I thought. Within 5 days, the radiator blew, and the hand brake was only working on one cylinder. We had been given one key and told 'yeah, we'll track down the other one'. Within 2 weeks, I could smell oil in the car so took it too a Porsche Dealer. They said the fronts bush's needed replacing, bearings(or something like that) in the transmissions had gone, the clutch needs a full replacement, catalytic converter had lost its heat shield, the RMS is leaking and to top everything off, the engine needs replacing/re building.

I was very happy with my car when I first had it, and obviously realise that this is not the fault of Porsche etc. It had 3 previous owners and I thought it was a fair price. I trusted the garage that we bought it from to have done a thorough check of the car and assume it was fully road worthy and 'as new'. The car has done 200 miles under my ownership and I am incredibly annoyed and not sure as to what to do.

Hopefully some of this work can be carried out under warranty but the final bill will be a bout £8500, half the price I paid for the car. When in the Porsche dealership, they had an 02, 20000 miles for £22000. I was gutted.

My questions are;

Are these problems that only a Porsche mechanic would be aware of and notice?

What can I do in regards of getting my money back for the car? (if possible) The car's been off the road for two weeks in total now so has only been in my hands for little over a week.

Thanks in advance for any advice that you can give me,

J

jwl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:19 AM   #2

Man, that's a shame.
Who looked at the car before you bought it? Some of those things would have been readily apparent prior to purchase. Talk to the guys that did your PPI.
A road test should have shown clutch issues. Leaking oil is fairly easy to see as well.

Was it sold as is? Check out your local laws to see if there is a a grace period on the purchase.
You mention warranty, you bought a 3rd party warranty plan? I'd check to see what's covered.

I hope you can get some good news out of this.
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:14 AM   #3

Ouch, that is one of the harshish stories about buying a 2000 boxster I have heard. I bought my 2000 2.7L Boxster in 2006 with 43K miles on it, it now has 70K on it. The car had 2 previous owners and it has been very reliable (except for some of the adventures I have had with modding the car). Sorry about the problems you are having.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl21
Hi all,

Bought a 2000 Porsche Boxster 2.7 on March 19th and had nothing but problems with it. Paid £14800 from a garage with 56000 miles on the clock. Very little work done to it and impeccable condition... or so I thought. Within 5 days, the radiator blew, and the hand brake was only working on one cylinder. We had been given one key and told 'yeah, we'll track down the other one'. Within 2 weeks, I could smell oil in the car so took it too a Porsche Dealer. They said the fronts bush's needed replacing, bearings(or something like that) in the transmissions had gone, the clutch needs a full replacement, catalytic converter had lost its heat shield, the RMS is leaking and to top everything off, the engine needs replacing/re building.

I was very happy with my car when I first had it, and obviously realise that this is not the fault of Porsche etc. It had 3 previous owners and I thought it was a fair price. I trusted the garage that we bought it from to have done a thorough check of the car and assume it was fully road worthy and 'as new'. The car has done 200 miles under my ownership and I am incredibly annoyed and not sure as to what to do.

Hopefully some of this work can be carried out under warranty but the final bill will be a bout £8500, half the price I paid for the car. When in the Porsche dealership, they had an 02, 20000 miles for £22000. I was gutted.

My questions are;

Are these problems that only a Porsche mechanic would be aware of and notice?

What can I do in regards of getting my money back for the car? (if possible) The car's been off the road for two weeks in total now so has only been in my hands for little over a week.

Thanks in advance for any advice that you can give me,

J

The real question here seems legal. You need to check local and UK laws on that one. Also, what warranty are you referring to? It would seem to me that the Porsche warranty has expired.

The other quetion on the PPI is largely academic. Lets just say the original guy missed more than a few things. I always recommend that a PPI be done by a Porsche dealer.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:19 AM   #5

By the way, no used car is ever "as new."

That is why they call it a used car.

Sad but true, some Boxes are pretty done in at around 50K and there is considerable debate on this forum about why that might be.

This is more grist for the mill.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:20 AM   #6

wow, sorry to hear about your troubles..

a pre-purchase inspection by a qualified Porsche tech should have found most of those problems...

was the garage you bought it at a Porsche repair facillity? if so, there is where you should start...

skip_168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:59 AM   #7

thank you for all your replies.

The warranty was from 'Warranty Management Services' which covers used cars. The garage was an independent with a good reputation...

The car was not bought 'as is'. It was apparently serviced by them but as soon as Porsche took a look at it, they referred to it as 'the faults kept coming like dominoes'.

I have spoken to the finance company who have been very helpful, and have an actual procedure to deal with situations like this. Also Porsche have been incredibly good and given me some excellent advice. I went to them again today and they showed me the faults, with the car on the lift. I could not believe how obvious the faults were, even to me who has no experience in mechanics. The problem with the engine is the bearing which drives the cam... and requires a whole engine rebuild, or a new engine. The bearing was loose and could be 'played' with. It was ridiculous. Seriously not worth it getting fixed. I am not bothering with these repairs, and the independent garage will be receiving legal action very soon.

Thank you for all your help/support

J
jwl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:02 AM   #8

I hope it all works out. Keep us informed man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl21
thank you for all your replies.

The warranty was from 'Warranty Management Services' which covers used cars. The garage was an independent with a good reputation...

The car was not bought 'as is'. It was apparently serviced by them but as soon as Porsche took a look at it, they referred to it as 'the faults kept coming like dominoes'.

I have spoken to the finance company who have been very helpful, and have an actual procedure to deal with situations like this. Also Porsche have been incredibly good and given me some excellent advice. I went to them again today and they showed me the faults, with the car on the lift. I could not believe how obvious the faults were, even to me who has no experience in mechanics. The problem with the engine is the bearing which drives the cam... and requires a whole engine rebuild, or a new engine. The bearing was loose and could be 'played' with. It was ridiculous. Seriously not worth it getting fixed. I am not bothering with these repairs, and the independent garage will be receiving legal action very soon.

Thank you for all your help/support

J
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #9

Not to add insult to injury and I don't know how much Boxsters go for in the U.K. although I have heard they cost a lot more in the U.K. than here. But 14,800 pounds seems steep for a 2000 base Boxster with that mileage even without any problems. But I guess you shopped around first and determined good value. With the pound currently worth 1.97 U.S. $'s that's $29,156 U.S. ! I'd sell you my Boxster S for $29,000 in a heartbeat. I don't think you would have to pay another 8,500 pounds to make it U.K. legal would you? Maybe I should place an ad in the U.K.?

2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote