986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   How do you know when your clutch is going? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16244-how-do-you-know-when-your-clutch-going.html)

bermuditis 04-09-2008 09:55 AM

How do you know when your clutch is going?

I have a 2000 2.7 boxster that I just changed the maf on. Part number 996606124/0280218009 was changed with the same numbered part. Now when I shift gears the car revs to 3000 rpm then comes back down and seems to catch and accelerate quickly. If I ease off and try to be gentle with it, it still seems to have the over rev. The car runs hotter now too. I don't remember it doing that before the maf change. It may have, I'm just not sure. Are these symptoms of the clutch going or is it a maf problem? Idles great now and all else seems ok.

CJ_Boxster 04-09-2008 10:24 AM

I'd call another dealer and ask for the newest partnumber for that part for your MY. Usually it takes more than afew miles for the engine to adjust and recalibrate so if it isnt working after... say 100 miles, then take it back and get a new one.

J-RAD 04-09-2008 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bermuditis
Are these symptoms of the clutch going...?

Nope. Clutch wear is gradual. You may notice the clutch pedal is increasingly closer to the floor to engage. When changning gears and accelerating, the clutch "slips"(engine revs/nothing happens) befoe engaging.

Sounds like something got hosed up when you did your replacement.

2000SoCalBoxsterS 04-09-2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
I'd call another dealer and ask for the newest partnumber for that part for your MY. Usually it takes more than afew miles for the engine to adjust and recalibrate so if it isnt working after... say 100 miles, then take it back and get a new one.

Yes CJ is on the right track. But you need to take his answer a step further.

I read that when you change your MAF you need to disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes to clear the ECU. Then the ECU will re-learn the new MAF settings, values, calibration... and run correctly. Otherwise the old MAF values are locked in the ECU.

*Have your radio code ready since when you disco the battery it will think it was stolen.

Benny986 04-09-2008 11:00 PM

BTW.

for your car
986 606 125 01 should be about $300 (w/ E-accelerator)
996 606 123 00 should be about $250 (w/o E-accelerator)

996 606 124 00 is for a boxster S not sure what the other PN you mentioned is for.

but yeah, when you get the right one...
i'd unplug the battery, then go watch some tv, like a sitcom, then come back, plug it in. then drive it for 1/2 a tank.

Brucelee 04-10-2008 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000SoCalBoxsterS
Yes CJ is on the right track. But you need to take his answer a step further.

I read that when you change your MAF you need to disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes to clear the ECU. Then the ECU will re-learn the new MAF settings, values, calibration... and run correctly. Otherwise the old MAF values are locked in the ECU.

*Have your radio code ready since when you disco the battery it will think it was stolen.

I would go with this explanation.