Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #1

Coolant Leak

Just purchased a 2000 Boxster S with 73,000 miles on it. First ever Porsche. Had the PPI done at Champion Porsche, fixed everything on the PPI for a total of $2700. Had the car for 1 week after all the repairs and now the "coolant" light starts flashing. Coolant level is just below low end of normal so I added distilled water. Flashing light stops. Drive it for about an hour on the interstate with no problems. Next morning I check the coolant level and it's low again and the carpeting in the trunk feels humid.
My question is this... How do I know if it's a leaky tank or a bad cap. I have the old cap ending in zero not the new one with 01. Do you see coolant leaking around the cap when it's running? I'm planning on pulling the carpet this weekend and see if I can find a leak in the tank. Based on others posts it looks like replacing the tank is not for the average weekend warrior. Thanks in advance for the help. I love this site. Alot of good people here.

Mike

wetvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
If there is condensation it is most likely the cap. If it is leaking it is probably a cracked tank. You can DIY the tank, and the cap is only $18 at the dealer. But there is no way to be sure without seeing it.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:31 AM   #3

Been there... It is most likely a bad tank...

You should have the system pressure tested... go to a local shop and have them test the system. This will tell you if the tank is bad. When you have wetness in the trunk
under the mats etc. this is most likely the tank.

You can certainly buy a new cap for 20.00 bucks and cross your fingers... but that amount of coolant loss leads me towards tank.

Best of luck...

by the way, I had mine done with a replacement for around 600.00.
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:52 AM   #4

Pull back the carpet where the plastic tank is and look for signs of a coolant leak. Very common for splits in the bottom of the plastic tank to develope over time.

This picture happens to be a 2000 S - with a leaky tank.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:35 PM   #5

It's a leaky tank

Got home from work today a pulled off all the carpeting. Large puddle of coolant on the floor of the trunk. I can see a small drip every 30 seconds from the underside of the tank. It looks like a pretty easy swap out with a new tank if I can use existing hoses. But all the DIY describe removing the hoses from the engine side. Is the rationale "while you're there replace the hoses"? Anyone ever disconnect the hoses from the old tank, put in the new tank and reconnect the hoses? Also, is the Oil Fill Plastic pipe that runs adjacent to the tank moveable or fixed. Hate to break it off.
If I could get it fixed for $600 I would but I'm in Fort Lauderdale, easy $1000.

Last edited by wetvet; 04-05-2008 at 02:36 PM. Reason: forgot something.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #6

Yep, called Champion Porsche in Pompano Beach today. $985 to replace the tank.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #7

Some of the tank fittings go through the firewall and the hoses are attached on the engine compartment side is why you have to remove hoses from that side.

here is another dyi with a pic (figure #3) to show you some of the hoses

Boxster Coolant Leak
Old 04-07-2008, 02:39 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetvet
Got home from work today a pulled off all the carpeting. Large puddle of coolant on the floor of the trunk.
Been there, done that, see my related post with images here

Good Luck

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:55 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
not long ago i was driving and making a left turn (in a left turn lane, cars on right, median on left), and i see this brown bag that im about to drive over.
cross my fingers....and hear not so good sound.
turns out it was a bottle of beer (empty), and it spliced one of my hoses.
tracked one down at the dealer for 17 bux, swapped it, topped off coolant, good to go.
before that i replaced the cap, and before i found the leak i changed the part in the trunk that has that little lever and couple of screws, and one of the seals was miss-aligned, making the coolant pass trough, hence the condensation on the lid. once that was changed, its all good, no light, no leak, no condensation...all thats left is for the tank to go bad now hahaha
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #10

Thanks for everyones help and advice. My hats off to anyone who has done this repair at home. Porsche builds a great car, I just wish it was a little more DIY friendly. I'm punting this one to the shop.