986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Anyone had their ECU flashed? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16199-anyone-had-their-ecu-flashed.html)

Stunin_Stud 04-06-2008 07:28 PM

Anyone had their ECU flashed?

Im thinking of sending off my 01 S ECU to Gemballa to get flashed. I dont have any other engine performance mods at this time so I was wondering what to expect from this flash program. I used to have a VW GTI turbo and the chip made a big difference, specialy after intake and exhaust mods. I know on natural aspirated cars its not much but what kind of experiences have you guys had with chips as far as power gains, fuel economy, reliability. My friend works for Gemballa in Japan and Im getting it done there. Gemballa USA claims it gives 25hp for the $1700 you pay for it. I dont believe that kind of power gain, but I am getting it for free.

BTW I think this is my 100th posting.

mn box s 04-06-2008 10:09 PM

Hey Hey, I just hit my hundredth post last week. What mods do you have you didn't list any. Is that none? I need to chip/ flash my ECU soon too but wasn't thinking The Big G. I have intake header testpipe exhaust done.

Benny986 04-07-2008 11:22 PM

revo in mine.

the thing that i like, that makes the biggest difference, is that i can switch from 91 to 93 to 100 octane. on teh 91 program the gains are minimal, but the 100, WOW, its pretty significant.

so with yours, I don't know if its selectable or not.

J-RAD 04-09-2008 06:35 AM

I've not done my Boxster but I did do my old VW 1.8T. There is no way in hell you'll get anything close to 25hp out of the Boxster simply by remapping the ECU...and for $1700?! YGTBFSM?!

This works on turbo charged cars primarily because they adjust the boost (and not always to "safe" levels mind you). The modifications to my 1.8T brought it to 1.0 bar. This resulted in approx. 50hp gain. From Greedspeed, that chip cost me ~$300, IIRC.

However, this simply doesn't work on a normally-aspirated vehicle. The only way you could approach a 25 hp gain is to do this (ECU programming) along with additional modifications to the intake (minimal benefit...the intake is actually pretty good alread) and exhaust system, meaning all new performance headers and exhaust. All of which needed to be tuned together. In addition, you must run higher octane fuel.

Just not worth it IMO.

mn box s 04-09-2008 07:15 AM

Well just to be on the same page I never intended on getting that over priced chip. Stunin stud said he was getting his free or good discount.

On another note 25 hp @ the flywheel on a natch ass car is easily done. Especially if you have the breathing mods done such as (intake headers testpipe exhaust).

There is a lot to play with in fuel mapping and timing. Correct you can't just crank the boost, and you won't ever see gains like that of forced induction.

My bet would be 15-20 whp gain- anyone else disagree.

What chip should I use?

J-Rad what ave you done to the Box, do you have plans? You're in MN we should get some others in here together for a Boxster meet.

2000SoCalBoxsterS 04-09-2008 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-RAD
I've not done my Boxster but I did do my old VW 1.8T. There is no way in hell you'll get anything close to 25hp out of the Boxster simply by remapping the ECU...and for $1700?! YGTBFSM?!

This works on turbo charged cars primarily because they adjust the boost (and not always to "safe" levels mind you). The modifications to my 1.8T brought it to 1.0 bar. This resulted in approx. 50hp gain. From Greedspeed, that chip cost me ~$300, IIRC.

However, this simply doesn't work on a normally-aspirated vehicle. The only way you could approach a 25 hp gain is to do this (ECU programming) along with additional modifications to the intake (minimal benefit...the intake is actually pretty good alread) and exhaust system, meaning all new performance headers and exhaust. All of which needed to be tuned together. In addition, you must run higher octane fuel.

Just not worth it IMO.

Very nice car J-RAD and thanks for the videos. I can't wait to get on the track for some DE. Do you use the Brey-Krause rollbar extender for track events? It's required in my region. Also, do you have performance headers & exhaust on your car? If so, which brand. Thanks, Steve