986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Oil Change 1998 Boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16191-oil-change-1998-boxster.html)

Nick 986 04-06-2008 06:29 AM

Oil Change 1998 Boxster

This is my first post so I apologize up front if this is not the proper forum to ask these questions. I bought a 1998 Boxster with 42,000kms on it a little over a year ago and I immediately had the oil changed at the Porsche Dealer. They used Mobil 1. This spring I am going to change the oil myself with the help of a friend of mine who is a mechanic. A local auto performance shop recommended I call Royal Purple. I went onto their web site and I spoke via e-mail to a member of their technical team who recommended their regular 10W 40 or their racing 10W40 which is double the cost but is supposed to be "the best on the market today." I had never heard of Royal Purple. I do not race my car although I do open it up a bit on the highway once in a while (when I am with one of the boys and not with my wife) My questions are, is Royal Purple any good and will switching to Royal Purple from Mobil 1 hurt the engine in any way? The racing oil is approx $13.50 per liter so I would think at that cost that it must be good but if it is going to hurt the engine then I will obviously stick with the Mobil 1. I am looking forward to being a regular on this site and learning more about Boxsters. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Paul 04-06-2008 07:11 AM

Porsche recommends Mobil 1 0W-40.

The last I looked Royal Purple was not on Porsche's list of approved oils.

That said Royal Purple may be a better oil than Mobil 1.

bmussatti 04-06-2008 07:42 AM

Hey Nick 986, welcome to the Forum.

Don't worry, there are NO bad or wrong questions here! Just bad/wrong answers (and I have hundreds of them! :) ).

I agree with Paul.

Another great Porsche approved oil is 5W50 Mobil 1. If you can find that oil in your part of the World, I would use it. We don't have this viscosity in the USA. Our friends in Canada do.

Nick 986 04-06-2008 10:48 AM

Thank You bmussati and Paul for your quick responses. Mobil 1 it is. I meant to ask in my first post, are K&N Oil Filters recommended for Boxsters. Thanks again for your help.

bmussatti 04-06-2008 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick 986
Thank You bmussati and Paul for your quick responses. Mobil 1 it is. I meant to ask in my first post, are K&N Oil Filters recommended for Boxsters. Thanks again for your help.

I would not recommend a K&N Filter. Use OEM.

Paul 04-06-2008 12:12 PM

Yep, K&N filters are coated with oil which can help lead to early MAF failures. Some say they also increase the amount of dirt that gets into the motor.

Nick 986 04-08-2008 02:21 PM

Hey bmussati
Thanks again for the info about the 5W50 Mobil 1. I have been looking everywhere trying to find 0W40 but I cannot find it but I did find 5W50. I am going to pick it up at the end of the week. Thanks again!