Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 05:44 AM   #1

ebrake "creaking"

I replaced my e-brake handle and now the rear passenger wheel "creaks" with suspension play when the ebrake is actuated.

What did I forget to adjust or mess up in the process?

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #2

OK, I have some more info. The creaking sound is coming from the wheel well area, but it creaks regardless of the ebrake being actuated or not.

I did not notice this creaking sound before I swapped out the ebrake, but it might have been there...

could this be caused by the cable being too tight? I guess I could get to the bolts under the rubber mat in the center console and loosen them a bit and see if that fixes it, but would love to hear from anyone that might have info on this before I start fiddlin' with stuff unnecessarily.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:09 PM   #3

I don't know if I could be of any help to you, but I just replaced my handbrake a couple of weeks ago.
Did you replace your handbrake yourself? What you need to check is whether the handbrake is to tight. I think there are two ways to tighten the handbrake. One is on the wheels and one at the handbrake lever, but given the fact that you first noticed the sound after you replaced the handbrake I guess it's the handbrake lever.
You can access the two bolts that control how tight the handbrake is without even removing the center console. You need to remove the plastic bottom in the storage box of the center console (is there a special name for it?). There is just one screw that holds it and then it's free. The you can access the two bolts that keep the handbrake tight. Undo them until they look really loose and check for the sound again. If it is not there then you will know it's the handbrake.
BTW after I replaced my handbrake I tested its tightness by trying to move the car by just pushing it. This way you will know whether it's to tight or not.

Well, most probably you already knew all that, but it's not that complicated anyway.
And of course it could be the case that when you change something it gets your attention, so if a problem was already there, it's the first time you discover it...

George

PS. Helpful links:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10733&hl=handbrake
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=631&st=0&p=2588&#entry2588

gstoli is offline   Reply With Quote