986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   cruise control not working? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16134-cruise-control-not-working.html)

rd400rz 04-02-2008 09:00 AM

cruise control not working?

My cruise control was working before sometimes it would ok and then sometimes it would not ?now it does not seem to be working at all is there anything to look for a quick fix ?

Lil bastard 04-02-2008 09:18 AM

What year? Model? TipS or Manual? all these things can make a difference

rd400rz 04-02-2008 09:33 AM

cruise not working

mine is a 1998 manual tranny thanks for any help

Lil bastard 04-02-2008 02:39 PM

The issue is most likely a bad switch, or the cruise control unit. But 1st, check Fuse #B7 to be sure.

If the fuse checks out, then you're going to need a DMM and a wiring diagram to make the necessary checks to narrow the issue down to either the switch or control module. You will also need to pull the steering wheel in order to remove the column switch and access the electrical connector.

If you're comfortable doing that kind of work and have the necessary tools, IM me and I can send you the wiring diagrams, etc.

EE3racing 04-02-2008 03:08 PM

Make sure to check the switch on the clutch pedal, it has an adjustable plunger, mine went bad, easy to replace and the cruise works fine now. I'll bet you that's whats wrong, easy fix fairly cheap part...

Lil bastard 04-03-2008 08:10 AM

Excellent point! I misread and thought he had a TipS. Thanks for catching it!

Yes, the Clutch Switch is also very much on the list of possibilities.

:cheers:

Tool Pants 04-04-2008 01:48 AM

Check the brake light switch.

rd400rz 04-04-2008 10:23 PM

cruise not working

Brake light switch where is it located is it under the brake pedal ?

EE3racing 04-05-2008 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rd400rz
Brake light switch where is it located is it under the brake pedal ?

Yes it is and as usual TP is right it was my brake switch which makes sense when you consider it terminates the cruise control. The switch has a plastic plunger actuated by the arm of the brake pedal. To remove the entire switch you turn it and it comes out of a hole it snaps into, it's a twist lock operation. There is a really good pic of it on the 986 catalog that I downloaded free from this site. I tried to pull just that pic out and link you to it but as far as I can tell adobe doesn't support that function.

rd400rz 04-05-2008 07:51 AM

cruise not working

You said in your earlier post it was the clutch switch are there two switches there must be I will check it how do you kno if it is bad how do you test it thanks or should I just replace it I kno its not the fuse

Lil bastard 04-05-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rd400rz
You said in your earlier post it was the clutch switch are there two switches there must be I will check it how do you kno if it is bad how do you test it thanks or should I just replace it I kno its not the fuse

Use a DMM (Digital Multi-Meter) with a continuity tester and set to continuity, attach DMM leads to each lead on the switch, press the switch 'on' and listen for a beep, no beep - switch is bad.