986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   All the little hassles (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16128-all-little-hassles.html)

fatmike 04-01-2008 06:45 PM

All the little hassles

I took the hardtop off yesterday. I also removed the winter tires and installed the summer rubber (p-Zero's). I left the car in the garage overnight with the top down after taking the hardtop off.

This morning, I took my daughter to school. Its drizzling, but the tops already down. I'm a bit to stubborn to up it up, after all I suscribe to the theory if you drive fast enough, no rain actually comes into the cockpit. But, the car feels terrible. Wobbly almost. At first I think maybe its too cold for my summer tires? Naaah, can't be that. Oh, no! Did I tighten the lug nuts? Yep. What could it be? 8 lbs of air pressure in both rear tires. I don't recommend it. Relenting to the drizzle, I finally put my soft top up and managed to completely crack the rear plastic.

Oh, well.

I got it right this afternoon. The sun came out and it topped out near 70 degrees. I got my tires properly inflated, top down again & cruising on the first really warm spring day of the year. Its worth all the little hassles.

silverboxter 04-01-2008 07:07 PM

i feel your pain. actually, i don't. you should move to so. cal. today was just another top down day. i've had several during the past month. only problem that i have is the weird tan that i get with the "smile lines" on my face from the bright sunshine. guess i need more coppertone!

j/k enjoy any box time that you can get.

take care.

70Sixter 04-02-2008 10:29 AM

Our winter never really materialized. A few one to three day cold spells, but never enough to put the hard top on. Which is not all good cuz I LIKE the hard top look a whole lot.

Bottom line - not a month passed without a few top down days.

Now watch for a freak blizzard in South Eastern NC!

Chills 04-02-2008 10:38 AM

I hear ya, mike. I cracked my plastic last winter. But a plus is that it gave me an excuse to get a GAHH glass top. No more Boxster chop. :)

We've had a helluva winter here in Chicago. This week it is finally getting rather nice, even though this morning it was 24 degrees waiting for the train.

Anyway, I can't wait until I get home after work. I'm going to go take a top down cruise.

BTW, Mike where in Jersey are you? I'm heading there in two weeks. My dad lives in Morristown.

LMAO@ silverboxter's tanlines.

fatmike 04-02-2008 11:38 AM

We're nearby in Chatham. There are lots of good roads for the Boxster outside of Morristown.

ddb 04-02-2008 01:49 PM

Gratuitous Driveway Picture

Sorry to hear about another plastic window tearing. Like Chills I have a GAHH and love not having to worry about the plastic window. The electric defroster is nice as well although I don't drive the car in bad weather often enough to really benefit from it.

I removed my hardtop on Sunday. The weather in Charlotte isn't bad and I try to drive the car on nice weekends all year. Still looking forward to the first top-down drive of the year and enjoying the exhaust/engine sounds instead of my increasingly squeaky hardtop.

BTW, this picture is from November before I put the hardtop on.

ddb

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...-3-07010cd.jpg

fatmike 04-02-2008 04:20 PM

ddb -- The car looks good in white. Nice picture.

I'm probably going to go the cheap route and sew in a new plastic window. My top's in nice shape overall. Its probably not the best solution, but since we're in a recession I'm supposed to cut-back... The GAHH top is nice, I'll probably do that the next time my window cracks (like next year...).