986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Odd problem, electrical, battery discharging...ignition? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16091-odd-problem-electrical-battery-discharging-ignition.html)

brent95m3 03-29-2008 09:02 PM

Odd problem, electrical, battery discharging...ignition?

I just my 2002 Boxster S last week.

So last night while driving the battery warning/generator light comes on. It was late so I didn't do anything about it. This morning I go to start the car and its dead as a doornail, so I figure bad battery. I jump start it, and then go to buy a new battery. On the way there, the ABS failure light and the Brake Distribution warning light both come on. I clicked through them but they came back on and kept beeping upon accelerating (really annoying). The radio as well would restart itself. After a couple miles I guess the warning lights gave up and it just went to a check engine/service engine soon light.

So my theory/guess is this is the ignition switch/cylinder problem (hence the reason the radio would turn off/back on while driving and the warning lights would reset themselves).

Has anyone had anything like this and if so, was this the problem? What parts do I need to fix it assuming this is the issue?

Thanks in advance.

wvicary 03-30-2008 10:02 AM

Install a known good battery and test the charging system.

Lil bastard 03-30-2008 10:49 AM

Sounds like the ignition switch.

You need PN# 4A0.905.849.B . Porsche doesn't want to sell just the electrical switch anymore, they want to sell you a whole new Unit - more work and more $$.

This switch is made for Porsche by MEYLE Products in Germany and their PN# is 100.905.0000 - it is a direct cross-referenced replacement.

Do a search here and in the DIY section for replacement instructions, should take you under 30 min. to switch it.

Then to test the Battery/Alternator, use a DMM to check voltage between the battery terminals (Car OFF) - s/b no more than 13.2volts. Then start the car and check again. This time, the DMM should read between 13.8-14.2 volts - this is the alternator voltage. If higher, it could be cooking the battery because the internal voltage regulator has blown 1 or all of it's diodes.

Paul 03-30-2008 11:27 AM

Sounds like a charging system issue to me. Have your existing battery checked before you trash it.

Paul 03-30-2008 11:28 AM

BTW driving a car like ours with a failed charging system can harm many of the electronics.

pk2 03-30-2008 11:30 AM

It sounds like it could be the generator, If It stops working, the battery goes down to “not much”. Down to this point, theres not the juice to hold the memory in your radio and anything else powered. Idiot lights abound.

Any big box auto parts store can give your battery a quick load test to determine it's health (I think it will also test your generator). A charging generator will put out 13v+ at the battery with a load on. A bad one wil read 11v or less at the battery (while it running & with a few things turned on.

You don't really need to drop a $100 on a new battery just find out it's not the problem.

Regards, PK

Paul 03-30-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brent95m3
I just my 2002 Boxster S last week.
This morning I go to start the car and its dead as a doornail, so I figure bad battery. I jump start it, and then go to buy a new battery. On the way there, the ABS failure light and the Brake Distribution warning light both come on. I clicked through them but they came back on and kept beeping upon accelerating (really annoying).
Thanks in advance.

So idiot lights and a beeper were not enough to make you stop driving it???

Maybe Porsche needs to add an electric shocker to your driver's seat? :)

Lil bastard 03-30-2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul
So idiot lights and a beeper were not enough to make you stop driving it???

Maybe Porsche needs to add an electric shocker to your driver's seat? :)

+1 though I did not wish to be the one to say it... ;)

brent95m3 03-31-2008 09:56 PM

Well it turned out to be the alternator. I had it towed to a shop this morning. Just wanted to let you guys know I didn't continue to drive it other than home that day, but thanks for your input. :p