986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Do you have trouble closing your back trunk? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16053-do-you-have-trouble-closing-your-back-trunk.html)

LoveBunny 03-27-2008 12:01 PM

Do you have trouble closing your back trunk?

I've been having the darndest time getting my back trunk to close. I find it works best if I press my hand about where the "o" is in "Boxster," but it doesn't always work. I just now had to press it about 10 times to get it to latch. Is this normal?

peakpro 03-27-2008 12:13 PM

I don't think it is.

MIne closes with a gentle push.

LoveBunny 03-27-2008 12:16 PM

hmmm, wonder if something is wrong with my latch.

Bob Z. 03-27-2008 12:26 PM

My '08 Boxster S is the same way - I have to push it multiple times for it to close.

My dealer is 60+ miles away so I don't plan to take it there for just that; however, if someone learns of a quick fix/adjustment please post it here.

LoveBunny 03-27-2008 12:32 PM

Maybe it's something with the latch used on the '08, or maybe it has to break in some. I use my trunk regularly, so it's a royal pain. I'll let you know what I find out because I definitely would like to fix it if possible.

Burg Boxster 03-27-2008 12:43 PM

I'm not sure about the 987 latch, but on the 986 if you pull the cover plate off (2 philips head screws), you can gain access to the latch.

Might just need some grease or it could need adjusted up/down a bit. I imagine the adjustment is much like the front hood latch - loosen the 10mm bolts/nuts and slide up/down as needed (in your case - I'd presume up a tad). Of course, if it's a 987, you're most likely under warranty and if a dealer is close by, I'd have them adjust it.

Here's a picture of what the latch looks like on the 986s (w/ a broken cable for the remote release):

http://wassermethanol.fastmail.fm/IMG_0557.jpg

TriGem2k 03-27-2008 12:54 PM

Have you tried adjusting the rubber stops?

Look at the end of the trunk lid corners and you will see one rubber stop on each side. Adjust those accordingly and your all set.

They adjust by twisting them. Clockwise makes them shorter (easier to close the trunk) and counter clockwise extends them (makes it harder to close the trunk).

Very simple

let us know if this works

Lil bastard 03-27-2008 08:23 PM

You're under full warranty - take it in and have them fix it.

Exerting the pressure on the area you describe will, over time, deform the trunk lid and you'll see a depression in that area.

As mentioned all you need is an adjustment to the rubber stops, and/or to the latch.

Bob Z. 03-28-2008 05:00 AM

Just read this and since my car is at work today I just went out and adjusted the 2 rubber stops in the corners - turned each one about 1/2 turn clockwise and it works great now. You have to be careful though since if you turn them too much I can see the trunk closing lower (not flush). And for what it is worth. it was easy to see that the 2 stops were not in the same position so one was actually turned about 3/4.

Thanks again to all who posted.

LoveBunny 03-28-2008 11:03 AM

I checked the rubber stoppers today and found that to be the problem too. Now the trunk closes easily on the first try. Thanks for the info!

TriGem2k 03-28-2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
You have to be careful though since if you turn them too much I can see the trunk closing lower (not flush).

Bob,

Just a side note...The trunk and the spoiler should not be flush. The trunk should actually dip in slightly more than the spoiler. I've noticed when adjusting mine that if my poiler and trunk lid are flush my car makings a wistling noise until the spoiler raises at speed.

Same goes for the front trunk. On the 986 I notice the front trunk dips in much lower then the top of the bumper. This might only be true with the GT3 front bumper on the 986 though. I didn't really notice it as much with my stock bumper.

James

Bob Z. 03-28-2008 12:02 PM

Glad to hear it - after I adjusted my trunk it is slightly lower than my spoiler so I guess all is well now!