986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Advice on dealership work (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16028-advice-dealership-work.html)

shaman1204 03-26-2008 11:17 AM

Advice on dealership work

I few months ago I took my car in to have the rear suspension "clunk" and a/c blower motor problem taken care of. They had my car for a few days and the service technician called to say they could not find or hear anything wrong with the suspension. :eek: The tech that was driving it must have been deaf. Finally, after I talked directly to the tech and told him to look at the rear lower control arms (thanks 986forum), that's what they replaced.

After they fixed those two problems and two others that came up I ended up paying around $700 ($100 deductible + difference on hourly shop rate) out of pocket and my warranty paid approx. $1900.

Well, the "clunk" is back in the rear passenger side, albeit not as bad as before. I want to take it back to have them look at it again, but I have a feeling they will say "we can't find anything wrong." If they do find something wrong, I don't feel I should pay the warranty's $100 deductible if they need to fix something they should have been fixed in the first place . I couldn't believe it the first time when I had to tell a Porsche Mechanic what to fix on my car, seeing from this forum that bad control arms are a pretty common occurrence. Do you think I have any leverage to make them pay for the deductible and possibly a loaner if they find something else that should have been replaced?

yellowboxster01 03-26-2008 02:41 PM

Based on my dealings with the dealer, their "techs" don't know $#!^. My advice to you is to take the car to an authorized Porsche mechanic and have them take a look. If your car is still under warranty, have the mechanic note what the problem is and take it back to the dealer and tell them what's wrong.

FTD 03-26-2008 03:32 PM

I can't help you technically, but I can say I can relate, if that helps. My closest dealership boasts the most senior mechanic in all of North America, but I can't say they kick butt and did a great job. Now that the car is out of warranty I will choose other resources from folks that have a passion, compete to be the one you trust, and don't talk smack. I hate smack. So I backup YellowBoxster's advice. Good people want to see you later when the warranty is out.

boxs2000 03-26-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaman1204

Well, the "clunk" is back in the rear passenger side, albeit not as bad as before. I want to take it back to have them look at it again, but I have a feeling they will say "we can't find anything wrong." If they do find something wrong, I don't feel I should pay the warranty's $100 deductible if they need to fix something they should have been fixed in the first place . I couldn't believe it the first time when I had to tell a Porsche Mechanic what to fix on my car, seeing from this forum that bad control arms are a pretty common occurrence. Do you think I have any leverage to make them pay for the deductible and possibly a loaner if they find something else that should have been replaced?

Does that mean the "clunk was gone (how long) and it came back? If it is the same issue then they will usually warranty their work. If it's a new "clunk" then they will say that is a new claim and therefore another $100 deductible.

shaman1204 03-27-2008 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxs2000
Does that mean the "clunk was gone (how long) and it came back? If it is the same issue then they will usually warranty their work. If it's a new "clunk" then they will say that is a new claim and therefore another $100 deductible.

I thought the noise went away, but I had it fixed in the dead of winter and didn't drive it all that often. Once the car has been driven for a few minutes the noise reappears. I used to hear it on both sides but the drivers side is completely silent now. The clunk happens when I drive over sharp bumps at 5-30mph. An example of a sharp bump would be uneven pavement seams or a sunken manhole cover.