Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
FTD

Bummer

1. My warranty seems to have expired. The manufacture date is 12/03 2003, the purchase date is 04/07/2004 and the warranty start date is 21/31/2003. I need some things taken care of - but I am told it is out of warranty. How can I find out why the warranty effective date is 12/31 instead of 04/07?
  2. One thing that needs help is the exterior 'shell' of the convertible top. It doesn't track right. The guy at the dealership said its because the velcro part is done doing its job and the top needs to be stitched down [to do a better job than Porsche did]. Any comments? Are there places to look for help getting this done rather than the stealership? They told me a price in the $300 - $400 range.

FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:44 AM   #2

Call 1 800 PORSCHE for customer service to find out when the warranty was started. If you are the original owner and your car was sold to you as new, then the selling dealer will have some explaining to do. Sometimes dealers will title a car to boost their sales numbers for a given period, use it as a demo or loaner. If this is the case, and it was not disclosed to you, then you have a legitimate reason to expect the selling dealer to cover repairs until 04/07.

Look here
http://www.ppbb.com/boards/ppbbphp/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ARCHIVES&Number=1279066&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=1&vc=1
Aron in T.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
FTD

Thanks Aron!
Old 03-27-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
FTD

Anybody have a direction to start me in regarding the soft top stitching?
And by the way, I am not the original owner of the car, so I don't know what leverage I may have. I will at least start some conversations....
Old 04-08-2008, 07:28 AM   #5
FTD

Here's my update:
I called Jim Ellis Porsche, where the car was originally purchased, and asked them about the Porsche warranty effective date [12/31] vs. the drive out date [04/07 the following year]. They threw out the idea to me that the car was a demo, which Hennessy Porsche had also said. I asked them if they had a record of how much mileage was on the car 04/07 and they showed 124 - and thought that was very low for a demo. They did some research in the Sales database and Wayne Stone called me back saying the car was still on the boat 12/31. They said bring the car in and 'we'll see what we can do'. What they did is give me a loaner, fixed the top and the key, cleaned the wheels and vacuumed the interior [drought restrictions prevent washing] - zero cost under warranty.

I hope I don't have any more issues. This is the fifth or sixth warranty work I have had. Makes me nervous.... My Honda has a far better record, but of course it is not nearly as fun.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
bmussatti

FTD, I am glad for you. Seems like the dealer took good care of you.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:10 AM   #7
FTD

kudos to Jim Ellis Porsche. I am very grateful. Yay!!!