Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008, 04:16 AM   #1

Garage interior design ideas?

Okay, so the wife and kids will be out of town next weekend for the week... my plan is to re-seal the floor with the epoxy this weekend so I can get started next week on a garage overhaul! My house is only a few years old so the garage is pretty decent to start with. Dry walled etc...
My plan... to buy a shelving/storage system with work bench etc. The type you see at Sears etc.
Anyway, since I have a dedicated 3rd garage just for the Porsche I wanted to make this garage special without spending a ton of $. I know the storage system I want will run about $1k... I'm a designer so I have a lot of vinyl etc. I was thinking of checker boarding a wall... maybe in a pattern that looks like the flag is waving... for the wall behind the boxster. Maybe put some slat wall along the wall too?

Any Ideas or photos to help me out?

bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:21 AM   #2

Some incredible examples here: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:41 AM   #3

WOW! Thanks for that link! I'm going to spend a lot of time on there the next couple of days!
Thanks.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
bmussatti

BMX672, sounds like fun! I would love to have a garage with a small fridge (for beer and Gatorade), flat screen TV and a comfy sofa to lounge around and stare at the car!

Some cool vintage Porsche posters would be neat. I'd also like to take some of the pictures on my car from last year's Tail of the Dragon trip, get them enlarged and divided up amongst 3-4 picture frames, and then mount on the wall.

A few years ago, someone ( could have been Jeph) posted a web site that will take your photograph, and do this special processing.

What epoxy will you use?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:20 AM   #5

Use the checkerboard floor tiles to do the garage space the Porsche is parked in and leave the others with the epoxy. Paint the walls and ceiling a nice color. Then paint a big Porsche logo on the wall in front of the space.

Then buy a lift so you can buy a Carrera GT and park in under the Boxster

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:49 AM   #6

Yes, a fridge is in the works already!

I managed to find some 4'x8' slat wall for about $25 each!!! I'm going to pick up a few sheets tonight if I can get my buddies truck. I think doing that along one wall would be really cool. The only thing is it's white... maybe I could roll on some primer gray... the slat wall have that laminate on it so I'm not sure if anything will stick to it.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #7

My dad had the Porsche logo, Ferrari, and Bourget painted on one of his walls. The floor is racedeck, yellow/gray checkerboard. The walls, have a border with the left over scrap racedeck. The cabinets he bought at home depot and assembled and painted them grey with yellow trim. Both of the garage doors are also painted yellow on the inside with grey trim. He recently added a Lamborghini mural to the other wall.

You can see in the garage here, I'll see if I've got better pictures somewhere.

Here's the best example I could find and the pic is really blurry. But, you get the idea.

Last edited by yellowboxster01; 03-26-2008 at 09:38 AM.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:32 AM   #8

That's awesome!
I was thinnking about the big Porsche crest... If I decide to, I would do it as a large digital vinyl... I buy large scale prints almost every day for my work... so I have a lot of good sources etc...
Old 03-26-2008, 07:34 PM   #9

Hey Yellowboxster, cool garage! How do you like the RaceDeck flooring? I'm wondering if it "pops" when you walk on it or if moisture gets trapped underneath. Any comments you have about it will be appreciated. It looks like the best system to me.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:34 PM   #10

Some older pictures of my garage remodel, before it was finished. Now, it's such a mess, I wouldn't dare take pictures of it.

This picture was taken before the countertops went on. The best thing to see here is the flexible track lighting, which is cheap, attractive and directional. You can use it to light your art, or a project you're working on. I used all cabinets with doors, so that when everything is put away there is no clutter. The floors are plastic tile. So far they've been great. They're two years old and have very little damage, but the white is a ******************** to keep clean. You can see the stereo speakers mounted to the wall under the top cabinets. The receiver is inside one of the cabinets to cut down the clutter on the work surface.

The countertops I used are epoxy, like you see in a laboratory. They're completely chemical and flame resistant. They've been great so far. I damaged this piece of plexiglass with brake fluid, but the counters were not damaged at all. See the cool diamondplate switchplate covers? They're fake. The real ones are about $11.00 each. I bought a giant sheet of diamondplate contact paper off of ebay and covered every plate in my garage for like $50.00. Behind the backsplash, I installed large powerstrips, so I have enough recepticles.

The oven is used for powdercoating. The pink insulation near the floor is to cover the hydrostatic vents in my foundation. Later, I built little white panels to cover them. I'm sure that's a code violation, but big holes in the garage walls let my heat and air-conditioning out...

The hardtop as art... This picture shows a few little things I did to add interest. I covered my utility door with the diamond plate contact paper, added trim and the fallout shelter sign for fun. I also painted the electric service covers and added the radiation decals because I thought it was funny. I decided to put up a little flat screen, but I put it across the room. I knew if it was over the workbench, I'd watch Speed Channel all day and nothing would get done. I bought one with a built in dvd so I can watch instructional dvds when I'm working on stuff that I don't necessarily understand. It really comes in handy because most of the time, I have no idea how to fix the crap I take apart. I also got some dvds of old car commercials that my friends get a kick out of. The TV is mounted on an articulating mount so it can be seen from anywhere in the garage.

Here (and in the last picture) you can see some trophies and plaques. I wanted to display them, but they can be a pain. I mounted them up high, so they're out of the way. All the way up there, you can hardly tell that they need to be dusted. Oh yeah...the lift is the best thing I ever bought. If you have 11 foot ceilings, I highly recommend one.

I have a lot more to do before I call it finished, but I hope you got some ideas that you can use. Garage projects are my favorite because you can do anything you want in there.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 03-26-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:44 PM   #11

For slightly more inspiration, this is when I was just getting started...

My projects are always a disaster.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #12

This will keep you even more busy than the 6speed link...

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
1987 928 S4 white on red and... dead
2004 Chevy Surburban... drinks gas like its cheap or something
easyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:00 AM   #13

Wow! I'm loving what I'm seeing.. I can't wait untill Saturday to get started! I went and picked up three sheets of 4'x8' slatwall last night!
I'm going to have to consider the track lighting as well too. That looks awesome! I'm not really excited about wiring... but I think I need to at this point. I have a blank canvas and I don't want to regret not doing any of these cool things! I need to splice my cable somehow too... Hmmm, back to the drawing board tonight.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:10 AM   #14
bmussatti

What about some type of heater?
Old 03-27-2008, 04:33 AM   #15

If I decide to do that it's going to be really easy! I have a gas dryer in our mud room literally 10" from the garage wall...!!! So if I decide to do it it's going to be an easy task to route the line into the corner of the garage!
Good suggestion.
I'll be posting pics of before and after starting in the next week or so. I'm excited!
Old 03-27-2008, 09:28 AM   #16

Grizzly, with the microwave etc i'm guessing you don't mind having to sleep on the couch.
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputter
Grizzly, with the microwave etc i'm guessing you don't mind having to sleep on the couch.
Yup. Hot Pockets and beer in the fridge too. I'm always thinkin' ahead.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:35 PM   #18

UPDATE

Well, after 24 hours of work the last two days in the garage I'm getting there! I have most of the paint done. I need to paint one more stripe! I went to Menards and spent about $1200.00. EVERYTHING in the store was on sale (40% off) because they are moving to a bigger store... I walked into that one completely by luck!!!
Anyway, I'll post some pics in a couple days... I can't believe how cool my garage is going to look!!! It's still a BIG mess but it will get there. I need to finish the paint before I can get the cabinets in etc... In the mean time my Boxster is spending the night at my inlaws down the street!
Old 04-02-2008, 04:11 AM   #19

Well, I'm just about there... It's a complete mess... I need a few more days to finish. But here it is so far. I should have taken pics before... it was a typical garage in the fact that I had to step over everything to get anywhere. Now when I get everything put back I'll be able to walk freely!!! I'm tired but excited. I need to get the Boxster back in there asap. Maybe tonight. The wifes car and my daily can wait!
I'm going to recoat the floor again too next weekend with epoxy.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:37 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to PSL-Boxster
im about the same stage as you BMX.. i have a long way to go on my part.. i need to get the floor resealed and painted first before anything

PSL-Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote