Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 05:42 AM   #1

2009 Boxster or an 08?

Good Morning,

I am currently debating whether to go with a 2008 Boxster S or wait until October when the new 2009 updated Boxster debuts. Besides the new taillights and slight facelift in the front of the car, I hear rumblings of HP gains. Maybe blue tooth... who knows...

I have lusted over this car since it's introduction in 1997. I am finally in a postion to be able to afford the payment, and I am just not sure which to pick. I am certain I love the current style, wheels, lights, interior of the 2008. I have driven the base boxster a few times. Have not driven the S. I just know I'd want this model.

Would you wait for the 2009 or just spring for a 2008? Also, any other news on the debut of the 2009. I have read leftlane news... and have seen the updates... but when will it be avaliable for delivery?

Joe

jk335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:13 AM   #2
1JB

The '08 S goes from 0-60 in 5.1 seconds and 167 mph(?) which is the same as my '06. Unless you're going to track the car any HP gains are just silly at this point in my mind.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:49 AM   #3

Find a low mileage certified pre-owned 3.4 S!
Sounds like you are responsibly minding your finances, that said you have a great deal of bargaining power in the current soft economy. New Porsche sales are down sharply in 2008.
That puts downward pressure on the price tags of certified pre-owned Porsches, meaning they are the best bargain going (as far as depreciating assetts go).
The dealerships have to move these cars before inventories of old cars start to mushroom, hurting new Porsche sales. Furthermore 05's still LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME as 08's. Those 08's will take a big big hit on depreciation in this current economy that is only going to get worse. The dollar has taken a brief pause in its drop but the long term outlook is not good. Fewer and fewer Porsche buyers means less demmand and lower values.

The conventional wisdom is to do the opposite of what your dealer wants you to do. I'm guessing they want you in a 2009 first, 2008 second, a 2007 third and a CPO 05-06 third. To each his own but I've never heard a good argument against buying a CPO. These cars are gaining Japanese level reliability.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #4

Perfectlap: You make some good points about CPO cars. I have been shopping and looking around at 2005/2006 Boxsters. They are out there, you just have to look hard. The problem I am finding is the paint on some of these vehicles have many swirl marks and have not come across a great example of someone who cared for the cares like we do on these forums.

I will still consider a CPO if one comes along.

BUT... my dealer has many S's and Boxster's sitting around. I know if the econony slumps further, these cars may lose more value, but I am more interested in buying a good example and then enjoying the fruits of my labor.

Have we gotten any indication when 2009 comes out. Any new pictures from the NY Auto Show?

Does anyone know how to take swirl marks off Red Paint. If I knew I could get a nice surface, I'd be willing to look at pre-owned...
Old 03-25-2008, 08:21 AM   #5

don't allow swirl marks from keeping you from an otherwise showroom looking car.
A car doesn't need to be repainted if it has bad swirling. An hour or two with an orbital buffer will get it back to pristine brand spanking new shape. This is an easy do it yourself job that will only cost you about $200. A pro high end detailer will probably charge two or three times that, a real waste because its not something you can really mess up just takes some elbow grease. Check out the PC link in my signature, it has video on how to remove the swirls.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
Porscheectomy

Does anyone actually have confirmation that the Boxsters in the spy shots will be coming in 2009? They were originally supposed to be 2008 model cars, but that didn't happen.

Also, isn't the RS60 officially a 2009 model? It doesn't have the droopy tail lights of the spy photo cars. It wouldn't make sense to have the two different body panel generations on cars of the same model year. Especially if the RS60 is supposed to be a special model.

I agree with Perfectlap, the best financial decision is to not blow your money on the high initial depreciation.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:03 AM   #7

I am obviously a notice on the detailing end. I have seen "wet sanding" by a body shop. Had no idea I could do soemthing about swirlmarks at home. I will take a look at your video and educate myself on the process. Funny how every used car out there has swirls, and just for alittle money, I bet the dealer would have gotten a sale from me had they been in better shape.

GREAT question about 2009. I have been reading the Net for 5 months and all I can come up with are spy photos of the new tailights and headlight. Maybe it's 2010? The Cayman gets the same treatment. Funny how the RS is a 2009. Makes you believe early 2009 the 2010 may debut. I am gun ho about learning about the process to remove swirl marks. I think it's given me more desire to buy a used CPO.

I'll keep everyone updated. Thanks for the ideas this morning. Much appreciated, excellent forum and members thus far.

joe
Old 03-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #8

Don't tell the dealer that you know how to remove the swirls. Chances are he might know either and maybe you can use that as leverage about "not being so crazy" about the particular car up for sale. The great thing about being able to remove your swirls is that you keep your car looking brand new the whole time you own it. As hard as you might try, especially if you buy a dark colored car, car washing will always lead to swirls making it look old. I de-swirl once a year and my new neighbohr last year thought my car was an 07.
Don't worry about the learning curve. I'm an idiot when it comes to working with my hands, everything takes me three times as long as the manual and even I figured out de-swirling in one morning. If the internet were around back then I probably could have sold previous cars for more money. Novice buyers always fall for that. You just have to rememeber to use only a small dime size amount of product and move slowly with buffer. If you can paint a wall in a house you can de-swirl your paint. It's that easy.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:23 AM   #9
1JB

2009 boxster will start being built in September '08 after the factory shuts down in August I believe.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #10

Perfect lap, could you point me in the direction of a place to buy the orbital and product. I watched the videos on your link, and it really can be fixed. You learn something new every day. I only own silver cars for the reason that I cannot stand looking at a car with scratches all over it. Call me anal, but I like to be able to say I bought a car and maintained it well. Maybe it's half ego, but pride myself on a neat efficent car. It's been enjoyable speakign with you and the gang about CPO's and the 09. It will definetely help when decison time comes around soon...
Old 03-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk335
Perfect lap, could you point me in the direction of a place to buy the orbital and product. I watched the videos on your link, and it really can be fixed. You learn something new every day. I only own silver cars for the reason that I cannot stand looking at a car with scratches all over it. Call me anal, but I like to be able to say I bought a car and maintained it well. Maybe it's half ego, but pride myself on a neat efficent car. It's been enjoyable speakign with you and the gang about CPO's and the 09. It will definetely help when decison time comes around soon...
http://www.autogeek.net/
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #12

Yup Autogeek or detailcity.com, there's tons of sites now.

Use the Menzerma kit and Porter Cable 7424. Thy Cyclo polisher is a much better orbital buffer but costs $100 more. Well worth it though. A set of lamps from Home Depot or Sears are very inexpensive and let you see if you missed a spot.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:49 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
The few spy pics I've seen of the '09 don't look too different to me. I mean, it still looks like a Boxster. I hope whatever redesigns the car ever ends up with it always looks like a Boxster.

I didn't know all that about the swirling.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:06 PM   #14

Since you are financing, wait for the Fed to cut interest rates by another 25 basis points and buy the 08. As stated by another member, it's a great buying opportunity now. I stole my 2002 S, as things were soft then too.

If you live where it is warm enough, wait for the 09 and enjoy the fall/winter driving into 2009.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:08 PM   #15

Direct injection is going to boost HP by about 15-20 and also help fuel economy.

If price only raises by a few thousand I'd say it's worth it.

Wouldn't you want a 320HP Boxster S that gets 25MPG?
Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:08 AM   #16

Does anyone know what the discount off MSRP a Boxster S eqiped with the prefered plus package is being had in the market right now? Or the finance rates. I would figure my local creditunion with 4.9 might be better than porsche financial. Their leases are not too attractive, it's about the same to own the car I find. BMW seems to subsidize the leases much more than Porsche.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques79
Direct injection is going to boost HP by about 15-20 and also help fuel economy.

If price only raises by a few thousand I'd say it's worth it.

Wouldn't you want a 320HP Boxster S that gets 25MPG?

I'd go for the base boxster if they increased the displacement to 3.0 with 260 HP. I am driving a bmw with this engine size now and really do not want to dip below that power mark. BUT I realize the base boxster is light so it's faster.

Can anyone point me to the archive were people have debated each model. Interested to see what S owners have to say as I have not been able to drive an S yet... only the base boxster /5 speed stick.