Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 05:35 PM   #1

Help Key stuck in drivers door lock

Hey,

Today I happened to get my key stuck in my door lock. My 1997 didnt come with a remote. Does the 97 year have the option for a remote and maybe the guy I bought it off lost it?

Anyways, when you put the key in and turn to left for the drivers side it unlocks both doors. When you turn it to the left there is like a resistance hump or something that you have to go past to unlock it. Well its like the key got stuck on the other side of that resistance point. Has this happened to anyone. I tried to force it back but it was almost to the point of breaking the key plastic. I also tried wd-40 and no luck. I would rather not remove the lock. Any ideas?

Derek
97 Boxster
3.2L Boxster S Engine
Tarrett Engineering adjustable rear arms
Eibach 1" lowering springs
Bilstein Sport Struts
TRG front Sway Bar with fully adjustable drop links.
Evolution Short Shifter kit
Aluminum Race pedals
996 Brake Ducts
Boxster S wheels
LED tail lights
Clear front side markers

derek1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek1800
Hey,

Today I happened to get my key stuck in my door lock. My 1997 didnt come with a remote. Does the 97 year have the option for a remote and maybe the guy I bought it off lost it?

Anyways, when you put the key in and turn to left for the drivers side it unlocks both doors. When you turn it to the left there is like a resistance hump or something that you have to go past to unlock it. Well its like the key got stuck on the other side of that resistance point. Has this happened to anyone. I tried to force it back but it was almost to the point of breaking the key plastic. I also tried wd-40 and no luck. I would rather not remove the lock. Any ideas?

Derek
97 Boxster
3.2L Boxster S Engine
Tarrett Engineering adjustable rear arms
Eibach 1" lowering springs
Bilstein Sport Struts
TRG front Sway Bar with fully adjustable drop links.
Evolution Short Shifter kit
Aluminum Race pedals
996 Brake Ducts
Boxster S wheels
LED tail lights
Clear front side markers
Sounds to me like you're gonna need a locksmith to get the door open, then you'll have to remove the inner door panel to expose the lock mechanism. W/O the key transmitter, it's possible on a '97 that the key or the lock pins are just worn out.

I had a 240Z who'se lock was so worn that any key you could get in the lock and turn would unlock it.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #3

Well luckily I have 2 keys. So I guess I will start taking apart the door panel. Any good tutorials?

Did the 97 come stock with a transmitter? if so could I just get one reprogrammed to my car?
Tarrett Engineering adjustable rear arms-Eibach 1" lowering springs-Bilstein Sport Struts-TRG front Sway Bar with fully adjustable drop links-Evolution Short Shifter kit-Aluminum Race pedals-996 Brake Ducts-Boxster S wheels-LED tail lights-Clear front side markers

Last edited by derek1800; 03-24-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
pk2

I assume you tried some good old WD 40? There may be tutorials but If your handy you can get the panel off by following your nose (sorta) Just pop plastic parts off that aren't obviously permanently attached and uncover a torx head bolts. There not that many, once those are off the panel will pop off around the edges

I think you've got to get the handle and side pocket/ speaker off first. Just look for hidden screws and bolts.

Regards, pk
Old 03-26-2008, 05:03 AM   #5

So what happened...did you get the key out?
Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #6

I ended up taking the door panel off and the plastic cap off the key. I then removed the door handle bracket with the lock and key still in it. The back side of the lock was broken. (Some of the metal pieces in the lock).

http://www.screencast.com/t/xelb8KxK

I have a lock with a paddle on the way as circled in the above image.

My only question is does anyone know where the paddle goes or have a parts diagram showing if it slides into anything. I didnt catch what it was attached to when I removed it!!

Thanks,
Tarrett Engineering adjustable rear arms-Eibach 1" lowering springs-Bilstein Sport Struts-TRG front Sway Bar with fully adjustable drop links-Evolution Short Shifter kit-Aluminum Race pedals-996 Brake Ducts-Boxster S wheels-LED tail lights-Clear front side markers
Old 03-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #7

The "paddle" that you have circled on the diagram goes into a slot on the door latch. If you don't get it into the door latch properly the key will not lock and unlock the door. All 97's did not come with a remote.Your car has to have option M535. Alarm with radio controlled remotes. If you have the original warranty book and the selling dealer did there job correctly there will be a sticker on the first page with all the M codes the car has. Also under the front hood there should be a sticker with the codes.

Techbones is offline   Reply With Quote