986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   HID in non-litronics? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/15980-hid-non-litronics.html)

lucky_topher 03-24-2008 08:41 AM

HID in non-litronics?

Anyone done this?

i've heard the "it'll melt your lenses" argument, but isn't that the 55w xenon-wannabe bulb replacements? i true HID kit with ignitor/ballast/bulb doesn't get as hot as those bulbs right?

I'm wanting better lighting, and with quality HID kits getting into the $150-200 range easily with warranties, it seems like a good idea... the stock non-litronics have a cutoff line so it shouldn't blind anyone...

opinions?

Jeph 03-24-2008 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky_topher
I'm wanting better lighting, and with quality HID kits getting into the $150-200 range easily with warranties, it seems like a good idea... the stock non-litronics have a cutoff line so it shouldn't blind anyone...

opinions?

The xenon lamps are a different shape than H7 bulbs. Stock housing wasn't designed for those aftermarket kits. The beam pattern will not be the same. You will notice abnormal hot spots as well as irregular and asymmetrical illumination patterns. It would be nice if the same projection for halogens would mirror the xenons... it doesn't. It could possibly (negatively) affect your visibility, as well as the oncoming traffic.

There will be people that will say, "I did it and it's fine, it doesn't blind people." But nary do they post pictures (realistic before/after pix, as well as an oncoming view).

If you do it, makes sure you do as much documentation as possible... photos! Show us your results.

lucky_topher 03-24-2008 09:21 AM

yeah... my biggest concern is with melting my lenses... i realize that becomes an excuse to buy litronics ;) but that's not the cheap way to do that...

how hot *DO* true HID kits get?

i think i can talk to a local sponsor to try to get one fitted and get some shots at least... i'll get some good pics and if it looks good can provide more info :)

shaman1204 03-24-2008 11:26 AM

Here is a good write up on the installation of a HID kit into a 986 with great before and after pics. Looks OK although you can see the light pattern is scattered on the road with the HID bulbs.

HID Retrofit

juan986 03-24-2008 07:16 PM

I already did the upgrade, both headights and fog lights. They run cooler than the stock halogen bulbs. Make sure you get the conversion kit and not just those blue bulbs, those actually run really hot (those are pretty bad and will melt your lenses). Like the previous post said the litronics dont blind people, with hid conversion kit you have to adjust them lower to be aimed almost to the max to avoid this happening. Mine are set pretty low and I know they can still be somehow annoying if you are driving towards my car. Please dont ask me if i care....

shaman1204 03-25-2008 08:19 AM

Does anyone know if the Silverstars run hotter than the OEM halogens?

juan986 03-25-2008 05:12 PM

I dont know if they do, but those wont melt your lense, I had those for a while too but it doesnt make much difference. Might as well pay for the hid conversion kit.

lucky_topher 03-30-2008 11:24 AM

Well i talked to a company i know of and he is going to send me a set to fit and take pics before and after and then i'll send them back (unless i choose to purchase hehehe)... but this is mostly so i can test fitment, installation ease, and get some quality photos (professional photographer will be helping with pics) so people can get a for sure yes or no on whether this is worth it, the difference in angle adjustment needed, etc

i'll let you guys know when i'm done... price for these is pretty good IMO as well and come with a SLIM ballast, not the normal larger ones...

yellowboxster01 03-30-2008 06:36 PM

What company are you getting them from?

lucky_topher 03-30-2008 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
What company are you getting them from?

it's a sponsor on another car forum i moderate... i don't want to cause problems as far as non-sponsor advertising... if its okay to post it here i will, but i know most forums don't want that type of thing...

i will accept PMs, but i'm nto going to solicit business (heck i haven't even tried them myself yet!)

fu03steve 03-30-2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juan986
I dont know if they do, but those wont melt your lense, I had those for a while too but it doesnt make much difference. Might as well pay for the hid conversion kit.

so if i get the conversion kit, I can put any type of bulbs on there? or is there a certain type of bulbs i need to get? what brand of HID kit is better for our car??
hows the installation? is it easy?

lucky_topher 03-30-2008 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fu03steve
so if i get the conversion kit, I can put any type of bulbs on there? or is there a certain type of bulbs i need to get? what brand of HID kit is better for our car??
hows the installation? is it easy?

as far as i know, the installation of these HIDs are the same amount of installation effort as replacing a normal bulb... silverstars run about $50-60/pair... this HID kit i'm looking at is around $150 for bulbs, ballasts, ignitors, and a plug-n-play setup with existing wiring... with warranty...

i will be documenting the install with photos :)

Lil bastard 03-30-2008 08:27 PM

There have been issues with HID conversions staining, and even melting, the Halogen lamp fixtures.

lucky_topher 03-30-2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil bastard
There have been issues with HID conversions staining, and even melting, the Halogen lamp fixtures.

from my research that's not true

HID bulbs run as cool or cooler than a standard halogen light

now, the "fake" HID/xenon bulbs you see advertised (replace your bulb, no ballast/igniter) are 55watt and CAN and often do melt/stain housings... HID won't

keep in mind many manufacturers have HID lighting installed in cars at the factory... factory headlights in the U.S. are not glass, they are plastic... do the math ;)