986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   1999 2.5 boxter manual 29000 miles (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/15812-1999-2-5-boxter-manual-29000-miles.html)

ricorico 03-12-2008 07:26 AM

1999 2.5 boxter manual 29000 miles

guy selling 99 t plate boxter with 29000 miles 3 owners should i worry about porous engine / dropped liners on this year model or should this have already happened if it is going to by this mileage or age. i want a boxter but budget covers an old one. is there a vin no for affected engines

Lil bastard 03-12-2008 07:32 AM

You're likely good on the mileage, but of course, there's never any guarantee.

The '99s got a bad rap re. engine porosity and liners. This affected mostly the '98 MY with only 16 of the 'suspect' engines getting into '99 MY production, so you have a 0.0725% chance that this car had one, and even a lower % that it is still in the car. Now, the '99 MY 996 is a different story, these were riddled with issues, especially when compared to it's other MYs.

As always, get a proper PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection), and in your case an MOT. If it checks out there, go with your gut. Bon Chance!

ricorico 03-12-2008 07:37 AM

cheers been driving by it for a week but but been terrified by reports

hjkim550 03-12-2008 11:49 AM

Ricorico,

Lil is much better informed than I am (where do you get these detailed numbers Lil?) but there is a very nice and thorough write up regarding RMS issues as well as case porosity and liners in the June issue of 2007 Excellence Magazine. For $10 you can still order back issues from Excellence Magazine.

This issue did not help me as I had already purchased my Boxster before the issue came out. I did get a PPI and Carfax report before I purchased but discovering this forum and its members would have been more informative. I wish I had stumbled upon it before I made my purchase. So you are already a step up from me.... this site is a wealth of information and members are more than willing to help you with any questions.

Good luck, happy hunting.

Lil bastard 03-12-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hjkim550
Ricorico,

Lil is much better informed than I am (where do you get these detailed numbers Lil?) ..Good luck, happy hunting.

I read that on the tech questions board on the PCA.org website - a wealth of information - 16 engines. Then I looked up Porsche AG report that stated they produced 22,063 '99 Boxsters, the rest is just math.

Burg Boxster 03-12-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I read that on the tech questions board on the PCA.org website - a wealth of information - 16 engines. Then I looked up Porsche AG report that stated they produced 22,063 '99 Boxsters, the rest is just math.

Really??? Please provide the link. I read the PCA.org tech site often and have never seen Scott Slauson say such a thing or even elude to it for the Boxster. Everything I have ever read (there and elsewhere) can be summarized as......

Porsche has never ever, nor will they, release statistics about how many engines were afflicted by re-sleeving or porous blocks. Nor have they ever even released a listing or range of vin #s possibly even affected.

Simply, this may be b/c they really don't want to (to protect the brand) and/or they may not really even know (doubtful). If I'm wrong, please show me the link w/ the information from PAG.

OTOH, there was an informal (and yes not necessarily scientific) statistical study done a few years ago by a guy named Loren (or Lorne) in San Diego. Don't recall all his "findings" but don't remember being alarmed by them either. The % failure/predictor was a little high, but IIRC his sampling (from Boxster enthusiast sites like this) was under 250 respondents.

PS - did you know 73.687% of all statistics are made up ;)

mikefocke 03-12-2008 03:34 PM

Have you read the common problems area of my web site?

There is a link there to the PCA article.

Burg Boxster 03-12-2008 03:41 PM

Thanks Mike - I was just doubling back to post that exact Tech Q&A :) I knew I should have cheated and checked your site first as opposed to doing a search on the PCA site ;)

pk2 03-13-2008 12:31 AM

Lil-b & all,

Geeze, thats all a bit of a relief, reading these posts and the links. I have a supercharged 99 with 30k. I'd heard the magic hump/millstone was 40k. Sounds like in fact they blow apart quite a bit sooner...like out the dealers driveway.

Till now, if I wasn't to giddy romping it around, I'd be clenching my teeth waiting for a crunch. Guess I'm long since over that hump.

Regards, PK

P.S. Its a proven fact that actually 74,257% of all statistics are made up (+/- 6.7425% margin of error).