Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2008, 06:04 AM   #21
gcb

Great point..

your absolutely correct....thanks

gcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #22

are you able to write off your gas costs as well?

You got a good deal from Mr. Porsche because of where our economy is and where its headed. I'm curious to see where luxury brands in general are headed, I'm guessing people are no longer buying his and hers Cayennes.

Porsche Leases
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #23

I took delivery of a new Boxster S this past Friday so you know which car I recommend. And I could have bought a 997 if I wanted but had a 930 Coupe years ago. I know, they are a lot different now but I never owned a 987 and wanted to experience it...you only live once. Thus far I am happy with my decision and I am partial to convertibles!
Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #24

I went from an 06 987S to an 08 997S Cab

Here are my observations:

- Quality fit/finish - Both the 987 and the 997 are excellent on this, some complain about the cheap materials but I tend to disagree, these cars are meant to be driven - drive em. I like the 997 dash a little better but either is fine. The interior of the 997 feels more spacious I really like that. I do simple DIYs on my cars and the 987 is put together really well, I have not done anything to the 997 yet but it looks the same from a “put together” point of view. Really not much to choose here.

- Fun to drive – Either is a blast! I really feel that the 997 is a bit more edgy, and for a pure toy that is a bit more fun for me. From a pure balance point of view the 987 wins, but you have to push real hard in either car to find the limits, this is a matter of taste. The power and torque of the 987S is amazing and definitely quite noticeable, on paper the cars don’t look much different but they drive quite differently – you have to drive each one to figure it out. Porsche has tweaked the chassis and suspension on the 997 to produce under steer if you push it a little too far, I spun my 987 when I AutoXed it and I expect to do the same in the 997. The sport setting on the PASM with the remapped throttle changes the character of the car if you buy a 997S get one with Sport Chrono Plus. I have not pushed the 997 real hard yet (still in the break in period) but the little “Sport” button is fun in the twisties (even keeping the revs bellow 4200).

- Practicality – Neither car is practical LOL! The 997 is a bit simpler to go shopping with since you can throw things in the back without opening the trunk or trunks. The back seats in the 997 are a joke but they can be used on short drives if needed – not recommended for long drives. The interior of the 997 is quieter with the top up (I have a 997S Cab) so long drives will be a little less tiresome – not really an issue for me but it helps on the days I have a copilot! The BOSE in the 997 is a bit better with woofer in the passenger footwell. I like to blast my music from time to time and I did not like the BOSE bass unit right behind me. The radio works better in the 997 (more antennas!). You can pack a lot of stuff in the two trunks of the 987 and still keep the interior tidy – yes I am an engineer and I like to keep the interior tidy.

- Other? I bought the 997 on emotion, my son tried to persuade me to buy an R8 but I wanted a classic, I really debated buying a used F360 but the P Car is so bullet proof (and has a nice warrantee) I could not part with my $ on the F Car. If I had F430 money I would buy one, but there are limits! The 911 is an icon and that is part of the reason I bought it. I looked at some really nice used 996s when I bought the Boxster but I did not think they were quite as classic, the 997 is much closer to the original 911 gene pool and for me that was a significant factor in my purchase.
The 987 looks better with the top down, the 997 looks better with the top up – drive both and pick.
2008 Carrera S Cabriolet, Meteor Grey Metallic, Stainless Steel Exhaust Pipes, Heated Front Seats, Navigation, Floor Mats – I know the Porsche ones suck but they came with the car, Park Assist, Power Seats, Self Dimming Mirrors, 19 inch Sport Design Wheels – Classic Car and Classic Wheels, Bose, Sports Chrono Plus. Mods so Far: XPEL Clear Bra, Smart Top, Dension iPod Integration, Clear Side Markers

2001 MB CLK320 with a collection of performance mods.
MartinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #25
gcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
are you able to write off your gas costs as well?

You got a good deal from Mr. Porsche because of where our economy is and where its headed. I'm curious to see where luxury brands in general are headed, I'm guessing people are no longer buying his and hers Cayennes.

Porsche Leases

Yes.. you can write off Gas, repairs, maintance, monthly payments...all expenses related to car...

if you purchase....you can right off milage... which actually is not bad either... I forgot what my CPA / accountant told me, but they recently up'd the cents/mile allowance....

but again.. for my situation... leasing is best for me...
Old 03-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #26
gcb

Martin J
thank you for that great review... very well put!
I love you choice in color Meteor... thats what my '08S on order is....

Best of luck with your new car too!!!