986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   PPI and comments on low mileage 987 (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/15666-ppi-comments-low-mileage-987-a.html)

peakpro 03-02-2008 06:15 PM

PPI and comments on low mileage 987

I'm looking at a low mileage (< 10,000) 05 987.

The seller has all the service records (pretty standard stuff) and the car has a clean carfax. ( I know the limitations of these)

Should I still insist on a PPI.

Car has about 18 months of orignal warranty left.

Any concerns with the low mileage.?

thanks

Lucky 03-02-2008 06:28 PM

I'd get a PPI to specifically look for evidence of repaired accident damage. With warranty coverage, you don't need to worry too much about the mechanicals if the car looks, feels, and drives like new.

richv 03-02-2008 06:35 PM

I would recommend the PPI. Lots of posts on this site indicate that low mileage isn't necessarily a good thing. Problems can appear only after some miles have been put on the vehicle, according to many. In my case I bought a 2004 with 30000 miles and 10 months factory warranty left. Under warranty Ive had a rear main seal replaced, wheel bearing, wheel allignment, and my keys replaced. You just want to make sure youre covered for the big stuff as long as possible.

peakpro 03-02-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richv
I would recommend the PPI. Lots of posts on this site indicate that low mileage isn't necessarily a good thing. Problems can appear only after some miles have been put on the vehicle, according to many. In my case I bought a 2004 with 30000 miles and 10 months factory warranty left. Under warranty Ive had a rear main seal replaced, wheel bearing, wheel allignment, and my keys replaced. You just want to make sure youre covered for the big stuff as long as possible.

I agree. The low mileage actually has me somewhat concerned.

roadracer311 03-02-2008 07:03 PM

Since it has warranty, it seems like a huge waste of money to me to do a PPI.

Heck, even if it didn't have warranty I'd skip it, since it's an 05 with 10k miles, and a clean carfax. I'm not sure what they could possibly find on this car that would be better than just pocketing the PPI money. Just make sure there isn't a puddle of oil under the car.

PWebRPH 03-02-2008 07:13 PM

Your situation is pretty much the mirror image of mine when I bought my 05 S. I would do the PPI, if only for the extra piece of mind and as Lucky stated for any possible accident damage in the past.

Lil bastard 03-02-2008 09:11 PM

"Do you feel lucky today Punk?...well do ya?" - Inspector Harry Callahan (aka Dirty Harry) 1971

Brucelee 03-03-2008 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadracer311

Heck, even if it didn't have warranty I'd skip it, since it's an 05 with 10k miles, and a clean carfax. I'm not sure what they could possibly find on this car that would be better than just pocketing the PPI money. Just make sure there isn't a puddle of oil under the car.

This is poor advice. As has been pointed out, the PPI goes well beyond the issue of whether there is mechanical damage. The real issue here is whether the car has been hit or has hit something, that would be revealed by looking UNDERNEATH the car.

These kinds of unknowns impact the value of the car in a big way.

Money well spent.

PS-low miles would not concern me at all.

:)

Brucelee 03-03-2008 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadracer311

PPS- when it comes to detecting a previous accident, the clean car fax is not worth the paper it is printed on. :)

peakpro 03-03-2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
PPS- when it comes to detecting a previous accident, the clean car fax is not worth the paper it is printed on. :)

absolutely true...at least now the word is getting out about this

thanks for the advice