986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Does anybody have the link to the clear motor cover? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/15527-does-anybody-have-link-clear-motor-cover.html)

mn box s 02-21-2008 01:55 AM

Does anybody have the link to the clear motor cover?

A while ago somebody had a link to a clear motor cover for the 986. I think it was lexan and looked pretty good from what I recall. I was going to make one but may purchase one instead or try to see how they attach it. It would be nice if you could use the factory style 1/4 turn clips. Any info would be great.

NickCats 02-21-2008 06:37 AM

Found it :

http://www.adrenalineautomotive.com/index.html

Nick

steve00s 02-21-2008 08:49 AM

I could not see paying $700 for that. I've driven my car with the top up and the engine cover off and it sounds amazing. It was a cheap thrill. Also, if you are going to show the engine you'd have to keep it clean.

djomlas 02-21-2008 08:55 AM

i think it would be cooler if you had a little peak at the serpentine belt spinning while inside the car, like make a little opening trough the cover. now that would be cool couse u can always see it from the inside of the car

Bob Z. 02-21-2008 09:16 AM

I kinda like it, even with the "Porsche Taxed" price. I wonder if anyone here has bought one and can chime in with their thoughts & opinion (?)

Lil bastard 02-21-2008 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve00s
I could not see paying $700 for that. I've driven my car with the top up and the engine cover off and it sounds amazing. It was a cheap thrill. Also, if you are going to show the engine you'd have to keep it clean.

+1. The only way you can see it is through the window or by kneeling on the seat facing back (Top Up) or by putting the Top in the service position (unless you have the GAHH Top). All you're gonna see is a pretty mundane intake anyway, not like you're looking at a Ferrari V12 or anything. If you have the rear speaker box, doesn't that pretty much negate it anyway?

If it's the sound that you're after, I'd be more likely to cut the existing engine cover (or a replacement from a wrecker yard) and put a custom speaker grill over the opening something like this - http://www.partsexpress.com/imageslarge/262-870L.jpg Well, maybe not that one specifically, but there lots of available options out there.

For $700, I'd rather buy a set of tires, but that's me. :cheers:

Bob Z. 02-21-2008 10:24 AM

While you have a good option (mesh grill) I've found over the years that sometimes it is just easier to buy something than to run around buying bits & pieces, stressing over making cuts the right way, etc. Besides, it's not that much money.

Again, if anyone has the clear cover, or knows of someone who does, let me know so I can hear what they think.

mn box s 02-22-2008 12:22 AM

You know the one I saw I was pretty sure it was one piece. Im taking the rag off and going hard top only. I very rarely take that off. The speakers Im not to worried about. Theres ways around that anyway. Im cool on having the door open right on my dome too. Think Ill just make my own. Get a piece of Lexan for a lot less than $700usd.

Bob Z. 02-22-2008 04:54 AM

I'll have to take another look at it - is it usable when the soft top is down? In other words, can it still be seen with the top down, slider opened, etc.?

Lil bastard 02-22-2008 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I'll have to take another look at it - is it usable when the soft top is down? In other words, can it still be seen with the top down, slider opened, etc.?

No, that's just it. The Top folds to rest against the roll bar, completely obscures the top of speaker box/engine cover. Just check out the .wmv files at their site for confirmation.

Wonder how many Rhodes Scholars forked over 700 former Presidents before making that minor discovery? Whuaaa - Whuaaa !

And, it's really poorly designed to begin with. It looks like someone's Shade Tree or Cub Scout project with all the pop rivets, square cut Lexan and surface mounting.

If they stylized it from Carbon Fiber with a rounded-edged Lexan window and sound port molded in flush with the rest of the piece, at least then it would look somewhat professional. And might better appeal to all the Blingers who have a hard-on for CF. And then, they could probably eek another couple hundred dead guys from them too. I bet if you look up the inventor's genealogy, you'll find an ancestor named Barnum...lol ;)

It's all about the sound which is why I said to just cut some sound ports or add a grill to the existing cover. You could even 'louver' the engine cover for the same effect and a lot less moolah.

For me, it's not a Gottahave. I'll take a set of Tires instead.

SeattleBoxers 02-22-2008 08:25 AM

I think that cover is ugly, ridiculous and it's totally useless, when the top is DOWN.

If you want an engine under glass, buy a 360 Spider.

Bob Z. 02-22-2008 08:57 AM

Thanks Lil bastard and now I agree - I did not buy a convertible to drive around with the top up just to have a clear cover. But then again maybe someone wants such an item - if it was able to be seen when the top was down I might consider it (and I don't care for 360 Spider either).

Gary in BR 02-22-2008 09:21 AM

I thought about buying this cover for a while until I drove with my engine cover off.

I would never open the vent its loud, I want to hear my intake and exhaust. Personally I would never drive with it open and the only time you could actully see the engine would be with the top up.

To me tires, new head unit, springs. Lots of stuff more important

But, my mantra, its your money your car, do as you want. With my car I will do as I want. I have 19s on a 99. How many people say not to do it. Heck Porsche says not to do it. Do what makes you happy.

steve00s 02-22-2008 02:27 PM

One other consideration is that the carpeting adds a tremendous amount of sound insulation that sometimes is a good thing. Yes, the roar at 6500 RPM's is intoxicating but even with the stock panel on without the insulated carpet I hear too many other noises at idle and low speed that start to freak me out. Maybe its just me but when I hear every tick and rattle I start thinking about what might be going wrong when most of it is just normal engine noises.

mn box s 02-22-2008 06:44 PM

Like I said I think theres another one out there one piece with curved Lexan, and nice trim. Ill look for it again.

djomlas 02-22-2008 06:55 PM

yup i drove w cover off once too, ridiculously loud, no way will i ever do that again.

i think that it owuld be cooler to have an opening in beween the seats, and possibly put some strategically placed lights inside, red or whatever other color, so u can see the engine

NickCats 02-23-2008 06:23 AM

mn box s,

Is this what you were looking for :

http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/8996-looking-other-mods.html

Nick

jmatta 02-23-2008 06:32 AM

Does anyone have the link to removing the sound pad for more ear enjoyment? I completely understand how to remove the engine cover, but do not wish to drive around like that. I'm thinking buy a cover from a salvage yard and modify it somehow. I know I'll loose my rear speakers, but I don't listen to the stereo anyway. My main concern is damage to the top while in the down position.

mn box s 02-23-2008 10:39 AM

Yes this is the thing I was thinking of. Guess I remembered it being cooler than it is. I do say that it looks better here "http://www.adrenalineautomotive.com/product.html" Thanks for looking out.