986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Black Boxster in DesPlaines today... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/15521-black-boxster-desplaines-today.html)

bmx672 02-20-2008 07:28 PM

Black Boxster in DesPlaines today...

Man, it looked white from the salt... it was really cold too... I just don't understand. I mean, I'd buy a junk car just for the winter if I had too. I would never do that to my Boxster.
Am I crazy?

blinkwatt 02-20-2008 07:42 PM

To some a car is just a car,a means of transportation from one location to the next,nothing more.

To some it's a lifestyle.

To each their own.

bmx672 02-20-2008 07:55 PM

Yeah, I know :( ... I just spend too much time here I guess... I LOVE my Boxster and dreamed of owning one for years... so my perspective is a little different I guess than some..

husker boxster 02-20-2008 08:04 PM

Talk about cold...
When I pulled out of the garage this morning the temp reading quickly fell from 40 to 26. Four blocks later it was at -5. By the time I got to work, it was reading -8.

MINUS 8 FREAKIN DEGREES. Plus a 15mph wind for a -30 wind chill. This is getting old. :mad:

But 3 wks from today I'll be in Temecula, CA enjoying 4 days of golf. :dance:

TMM986 02-20-2008 09:40 PM

Porsche designs the cars to withstand tough winters and they will hold up better than most with proper care.

I must admit my Boxster stays mostly inside during the colder months but I put winter tires on my 911 C4S and zip around SUVs in the snow with many a bewildered look here in Chi-town. I say drive and enjoy! ;-)

djomlas 02-20-2008 10:17 PM

i drive mine all winter, and it always looks pretty much clean...well other than past few days where its freezing everywhere, but other than that i always keep it clean.
afterall, its just a car, take care of it, wash it once a week or so in winter, and its gonna be fine.

Chills 02-21-2008 05:05 AM

I know what you mean, bmx. There's a sweet black 993 here in Naperville that parks at the Metra station everyday. Rain, snow, salt, no matter what. I wonder how he does it.

I can't wait for steady 35+ degree days and no salt on the roads. I'll finally give the Hyundai a rest and get the BoxS out.

This has been on long, cold, miserable Chicago winter.

NickCats 02-21-2008 06:38 AM

Amen to that, brother !

Car hasn't moved since Nov 30th :(

I don't even know if I remember how to drive stick :confused:

Nick

YellowJacket 02-21-2008 07:28 AM

Regarding Boxster driving vs. storing in the winter, if I wanted $40k of garage furniture, I'd send my wife to Ethan Allen with the credit card. But I would rather an exciting ride to and from work; my Boxster is just as much fun to drive when it's 20 degrees as when it's 70 (convertibleness, notwithstanding), so I can't imagine putting it away for 4 months of the year and dealing with a Hyundai or something.

Boxsters are a dime a dozen and are a depreciating asset. Every day that I own my car, it drops in value a few dollars, regardless of whether I drive it or not. So my opinion is that I should get my money's worth!! Sure, the salt isn't the best for it, but neither are the bugs and rocks that happen on summer drives.

Now, if I bought a collectible as an investment, I'd look at this completely differently...

Tom Blue 02-21-2008 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster
Talk about cold...
When I pulled out of the garage this morning the temp reading quickly fell from 40 to 26. Four blocks later it was at -5. By the time I got to work, it was reading -8.

MINUS 8 FREAKIN DEGREES. Plus a 15mph wind for a -30 wind chill. This is getting old. :mad:

But 3 wks from today I'll be in Temecula, CA enjoying 4 days of golf. :dance:

Nice Car Husker. Love that color, good luck with it.
I agree with Yellow Jacket. I have summer tires on Boxster now and can't drive it when it's in the low 30s. I'm changing them out by next fall and will drive it when ever. Why let it sit.

super66 02-21-2008 05:50 PM

daily driver here in chicago....its the only way to go.....I have the snowtires on and zip around quite confidently.....I would miss the car too much storing it

richv 02-21-2008 06:53 PM

After reading these posts I've decided that a little rain in California is not going to keep me from enjoying my ride!

bmx672 02-22-2008 05:10 AM

I didn't mean to offend anyone that drives in bad weather with their Boxster...
Maybe I was a little jealous that mine was at home covered up...

I'm a little spoiled driving my Audi Quattro with snow tires in the winter. Which is a BLAST!

YellowJacket 02-22-2008 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmx672
I didn't mean to offend anyone that drives in bad weather with their Boxster...
Maybe I was a little jealous that mine was at home covered up...

I'm a little spoiled driving my Audi Quattro with snow tires in the winter. Which is a BLAST!

No offense taken! :) I can imagine the Quattro would be a lot of fun in the snow! I had a 4wd Explorer as a winter beater for a little while, but I quickly realized that even on questionable winter days, it was sitting at home whilst I drove the Boxster. So I sold it.

jmatta 02-23-2008 06:40 AM

I'm in northern Illinois and here are my Porsches...they'll get out one of these days (I don't think winter will ever end!) BTW, I agree with the Audi Quattro; drove them for years and had a blast. Now it's Jeep Grand Cherokee time.

xxxalexxxx 02-24-2008 09:32 PM

i drive my boxster all yr long, no matter what the weather is, i don't understand people who don't. why would u spend money to keep a car under covers, after all its a piece of metal/machinery (its not your child haha) its made to be enjoyed

also, to those thinking something bad will happen to their cars if they seen snow/salt. NOTHING bad will happen. once a car gets dirty you just wash it. my dad has owned Porsches all his life some are about 20 yrs old and hes been driving them every yr with salt on the roads and theres no damage or rust..

bmx672 02-25-2008 04:05 AM

This morning coming to work I drove on I-90 behind a salt truck for about two miles... I was in the Audi so the pellets of salt (and whatever else is in there ) hitting my car didn't bother me that much! But I would of really hated to be in the Box...
For me it's not the cold... its the pot holes... rear drive (regardless of snow tires) the rocks and sand they put down by my house, salt trucks, abuse on the suspension etc etc...

Gary in BR 02-25-2008 06:26 AM

I drive my Box every day.

And even had the top down this weekend.

Oh but I live in Louisiana.....sorry guys...had to do it.

NickCats 02-26-2008 07:11 AM

Another 6 inches last night ( but it sure does look pretty )

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...ats/img104.jpg

Nick

xxxalexxxx 02-26-2008 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmx672
This morning coming to work I drove on I-90 behind a salt truck for about two miles... I was in the Audi so the pellets of salt (and whatever else is in there ) hitting my car didn't bother me that much! But I would of really hated to be in the Box...
For me it's not the cold... its the pot holes... rear drive (regardless of snow tires) the rocks and sand they put down by my house, salt trucks, abuse on the suspension etc etc...

Don't worry so much, a car wont last forever anyway and even if it did you wont live forever so just enjoy the ride :)

although it would suck to be in Chicago right now haha i was just in Australia doing some surfing for about a 10 days and now im actually on the plane headed to cali :)
at least my flight was able to take off today haha ill be back in miserable weather in about a week though, hope it gets better by the time i get back