986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   What are these? pics inside (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/15513-what-these-pics-inside.html)

SinnerDC2 02-20-2008 02:08 PM

What are these? pics inside

I did not get a manual, but I'm working on that. What are these items below?

1. Its on the seat, but it doesnt look like it does anything when I push on the lever
2. Its on the kick panel on the driver side, there is a rocker switch.
3. compartment under the wheel? what is it used for?

pics are below
http://picasaweb.google.com/tullostech/WhatIsThis

TriGem2k 02-20-2008 02:15 PM

1. It adjusts the seat height. Pull up and push the seat down (needs lots of leverage). If you just pull it up then the seat will come all the way up

2. Manual spoiler switch. Click it up once and watch your spoiler raise while parked. You have to hold it down for 7-10 seconds to put it all the way down.

3. Owners manual generally goes there. I use the compartment for the garage openers and air fresheners.

SinnerDC2 02-20-2008 02:26 PM

1. I have a automatic spoiler, is that standard?
2. I'm having to put too much pressure to make the seat go down.. search time

djomlas 02-20-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinnerDC2
1. I have a automatic spoiler, is that standard?
2. I'm having to put too much pressure to make the seat go down.. search time

with the switch you can manually move the spoiler up or down, or leave it down and it will come on automatically based on speed, this is standard.

the seat leverage, you kinda have to play with it, like pull it and lift yourself up a little off the seat, and it will raise up, it does it on an angle kinda thing.

SinnerDC2 02-20-2008 02:59 PM

I cant get the seat to go down.. its too far up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
the seat leverage, you kinda have to play with it, like pull it and lift yourself up a little off the seat, and it will raise up, it does it on an angle kinda thing.

RandallNeighbour 02-20-2008 03:02 PM

Order a manual. Best $35 I ever spent on my car.

You'll discover all sorts of cool crap bolted onto your car :)

tboyer 02-20-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour

Oh, to be green in a Boxster, those were the days when finding switches fascinated me too. Wait 'til sinner opens the engine cover and finds the MAF, O2 sensors, filter, AOS, and throttle body. Sinner, great to see you so enthusiast about learning about your boxster, enjoy it!

trogdor 02-21-2008 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tboyer
Oh, to be green in a Boxster, those were the days when finding switches fascinated me too.

HAHA - yes, I remember the first time I pulled on the headlight switch by accident!

SinnerDC2 02-21-2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trogdor
HAHA - yes, I remember the first time I pulled on the headlight switch by accident!

Yea its the second pull that really counts ;-) the good ole fake brakes or rear fogs

8 Ball 02-21-2008 10:00 PM

I have always wondered what the long small space was at the floor next to the side of the passenger seat. it is a 1" x 12" indentation with a rubber mat at the bottom. I put chopsticks there. I know the car has a limited amount of cabin storage but why do I need a chopstick holder? Maybe it is to hold your cigar, or a couple of batteries, or a T-30 screwdriver....any ideas?

Gary in BR 02-21-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8 Ball
I have always wondered what the long small space was at the floor next to the side of the passenger seat. it is a 1" x 12" indentation with a rubber mat at the bottom. I put chopsticks there. I know the car has a limited amount of cabin storage but why do I need a chopstick holder? Maybe it is to hold your cigar, or a couple of batteries, or a T-30 screwdriver....any ideas?

I have always heard that this was for an umbrella.

But chopsticks work.

Benny986 02-22-2008 01:14 AM

Quote:

are you trying to do this while standing up outside of the car? or while you are sitting in the car?

you need to be sitting in the car. use your weight to push the seat down. if you are still having problems (aka you weigh under 120lbs) then pull the seat forward, and use teh steering wheel to help you force the seat down. FYI... it goes down in an arcing motion towards the rear of the car. if you still can't find someone over 200lbs to help you out. : )

i myself have no problem getting the seat down. : (

Ofishbein 02-22-2008 05:07 AM

The thing on the side of the seat looks like it would be a cap for cars that didn't come with a fully automatic seat option. I have a switch there, but that looks like it could simply be a cover for the hole.

I knew someone who thought that the manual holder under the dash was for CDs. I removed mine off for more leg room. A manual in it's leather cover doesn't fit in it anyway.

lapis986 02-27-2008 09:35 PM

chopstick holder is definitely for umbrellas, you can buy one that fits it snugly. I put mine in the storage compartment under the roll bar so now my wife has a place to put her book (in the chopstick holder) when we do weekend trips. Why she reads while we are out motoring still confuses me.

Hint for the garagedoor opener folks out there- get a piece of velcro and stick the controller just inside the drivers door pouch, facing rear. hidden yet easy to access through opening and it never slides around.

I have had my 986 for a little over a year and remember playing with the seat for hours to get it right- pretty sure it was about the same time i discovered the spoiler switch too- how much fun is that?

RandallNeighbour 02-28-2008 06:13 AM

8 Ball, here's a pic of the umbrella inside the chopstix holder area. I don't have one, but do love Chinese takeout and wondered where I should keep all the spare chopstix sets I have ... that's a super idea.

I'd never carry a T30 there because all my passengers would get the idea that the car breaks down all the time, which is only somewhat accurate, due to the age and mileage on my 1997 box.

http://www.iwantaporsche.net/BoxUmbrella.JPG

FTD 02-28-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

Pull up on the lever and then push back on the seat. Put your left foot on the ergonomic rest, stick your hips down into the back of the seat, and puuush. It kinda moves at an arc. You might get results if you adjust the seat forward before you lower it.

8 Ball 03-05-2008 09:42 PM

Randall...wow a real picture of a real umbrella in that space. it looks like the tag is still on it. Who would have thought. I thought you were guessing when you said umbrella but there it is. I'll keep my chopsticks in my umbrella holder and I will keep my 1/2 cd's in the space behind the head of the seat.

lapis, your door opener. good idea. I took out my owners manual and keep my garage door opener in the owners manual holder under the dash. Just happens to wedge right in there. Even stays for the DE days at the track. That is such a lame place for a book.

brimech 03-05-2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Order a manual. Best $35 I ever spent on my car.

Please, do tell where you can order a manual for $35! My box didnt come with instructions either! :cheers:

Rob-00BoxsterS 03-06-2008 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brimech
Please, do tell where you can order a manual for $35! My box didnt come with instructions either! :cheers:

It's in the manual where you can get them for $35.00.

j/k....

I got a full set with the leather binder used from a forum member here about a month ago for $50.00 (thanks superglide!). I have seen them on eBay also (but not as inexpensive.)

RandallNeighbour 03-06-2008 04:31 AM

Order a manual from Sunset Porsche in Oregon. They sell wholesale price + 15%. LOTS cheaper than your local stealership.