Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 09:54 AM   #1

Boxster S exhaust on 2.5?

Would it be possible to put a boxster S muffler on a 1999 2.5 boxster? I really want the dual tips but am not overly concerned about how loud my exhaust is and don't wanna spend $2k on the PSE. My main concern is no resonance and the only way that seems possible from what i've read is to go stock or PSE...

crcrzy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Even the OEM mufflers have a tiny bit of resonance,you have to try hard to hear it but it is there around 2.5k rpm. Any OEM muffler will be resonance free and from what I hear most single muffler design exhaust for our cars(aftermarket included) don't have much resonance,but if you want more +hp then dual design mufflers(that have resonance) is the way to go.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:30 AM   #3

So are you saying the stock exhaust will have some resonance? I can tolerate a small amount of drone but I'm not a huge fan. Like I said...I more just want the stock sound with the dual tips. I'd rather put my money towards driving school than performance mods. I do want my car to look the way I want thought haha
Old 02-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #4

just go with something like this - http://www.modacar.com/products//Porsche/BOXSTERSCAB/Boxster+Sport+Exhaust.html
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #5

Shouldn't I be concerned about the quality? Unless you know someone who already has one. That's why I was hopping I could just throw a boxster S exhaust on with some minor tweeks...then at least I'd know what I was getting.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:25 AM   #6

The way a 1997-1999 muffler mounts is different than 2000-2004. But there is an adapter/mounting kit you can buy to put an S muffler on a 2.5.

We have a local 2.5 with an S muffler, and we use to tease him. If you do this it is for cosmetic reasons, single tip versus two tips.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:49 AM   #7

That's all I want at this point. Where would I get the conversion kit to mount the newer exhaust?
Old 02-17-2008, 12:16 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
If your gonna swap out your exhaust to a S exhaust you may want to consider making it a 03'+ 986 exhaust. I have heard they sound better than the 00-02' exhaust.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #9

Thanks for the advice...I'll definitely keep my eyes open for an 03-04. Anyone know where to get the conversion kit or how much it'll run?
Old 02-17-2008, 12:55 PM   #10

Porsche sells such a kit and the part number is 000 044 200 11.

It is a bit interesting why Porsche came out with such an adapter.

When I started in 1999 the only Boxster was the 2.5 and Porsche did not have a sport exhaust option for the 2.5.

The sport exhaust started as a factory option for model year 2000 when the 2.7 and 3.2 came out. Then Porsche started to sell the sport exhaust in a retrofit kit form, so that you could have this long after your 2000 or newer car was built. As a factory option or in kit form the sport exhaust was and is expensive.

But the 2.7/3.2 sport exhaust muffler would not mount on a 2.5. So Porsche came out with an adapter to mount it to a 2.5. This adapter bolts to the transmission and muffler.

Then the 2.5 owners wanted a dual tip muffler, and the cheapest way to go was to get a 3.2 standard muffler. To mount the 3.2 muffler on a 2.5 clever owners figured the easy way was to use the sport exhaust adapter.

Need to write a book one of these days before I forget this stuff....

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:42 PM   #11
Rennzenn

Garage
You may be able to get a set of dual tips from one of the auto-dismantlers, and then have your single tip cut off and the duals welded on. Considering the expense of the dual muffler and the conversion kit, welding on a new set of tips may be a lot cheaper. The muffler internals are pretty much identical...and you'd be sure not to add any resonance.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:32 PM   #12

so the 986 S exhaust mounts up to an 01 non-S just fine?

hmm i want the dual tips too ...

If people came from apes, why are there still apes?
lucky_topher is offline   Reply With Quote